What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F 684 gusset plate

Future RV 9 Flyer

Hi all,wondering if anybody has had trouble getting the f 684 gussets to fit properly.I can't seem to get it to fit right without running into edge distance problems.i ordered a second pair and am still having problems covering the Holes while maintaining a 1/8 inch distance from the fire wall.what am I doing wrong? Thanks

I had to put bends in mine to get them to fit nicely and lie flat against their riveting surfaces. Also trimmed along the edge against the firewall to get a nice even fit with adequate edge distance.

A couple of journal entries:
http://www.aclog.com/rv-9a/index.php?c=3#763

http://www.aclog.com/rv-9a/index.php?c=3#729

And a picture:
DCP_2681.JPG

Yes

The 684 gusset was one area where I had to remake from previous builder due to edge distance issues. I had access to brake so I just made the gusset larger than needed, drilled it up, then trimmed it to ensure adequate edge distance.

The 684 gusset was one area where I had to remake from previous builder due to edge distance issues. I had access to brake so I just made the gusset larger than needed, drilled it up, then trimmed it to ensure adequate edge distance.

Me too!
(extra characters)

Same edge distance problems on the RV-7

I too can not for the life of me work out how to meet all the edge distance requirements and still make this F-684 fit. When I look at other builders sites, I see pictures where rivet holes don't look like they meet edge distance requirements, and I read comments like "the edge distance was pretty close but I think it will be ok". That doesn't go well for me on something that connects your engine to the rest of the airframe. Thus I have ordered some larger dimension sheet which I will fab from scratch, building a MDF template first. For bulders in Australia, I found that airportmetals.com.au, based in Melbourne, will cut you sheet by the square foot. For purchases under $100 they have a $25 surcharge, but this still beats getting it shipped from the US. The cost for the 0.063 sheet was $11 for the square foot.
Cheers,
Tom.

Back