What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crimp Die for 8AWG Faston

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Anybody know if there is a crimper die to fit a Proskit frame that can crimp 8AWG into a Faston terminal?

8AWG Faston.jpg

I found lots of dies up to 10AWG and lots of crimpers for 8AWG, just not sure which one is appropriate for the Faston.

My 10AWG crimpers do not work, obviously.

You sure that terminal is rated for that much current??? the contact patch is pretty small. Not sure I have ever seen a faston on anything larger than 14 or maybe 12 ga wire and thought that 1/4" Fastons max out at 20 amps. Usually by that size, a different connector style is used, such as a ring terminal. I would ABSOLUTELY NOT run 30-40 amps through a 1/4" faston.

The fact that you cannot find a die in that size should be a large warning sign, as I don't think that style of crimp can carry that kind of amperage either. terminals for this size of wire are usually full sleeve, not fold over tabs

Last edited:
You sure that terminal is rated for that much current? the contact patch is pretty small. Not sure I have ever seen a faston on an 8 ga wire and thought that Fastons do not allow more than 20 amps. Usually by that size, a different connector style is used, such as a ring terminal.

TE Connectivity has it listed at 60A. I was thinking of using it to connect the 8AWG B lead to the 12AWG fusiblelink going to mastercontactor.

You sure that terminal is rated for that much current??? the contact patch is pretty small. Not sure I have ever seen a faston on an 8 ga wire and thought that 1/4" Fastons max out at 20 amps. Usually by that size, a different connector style is used, such as a ring terminal. I would ABSOLUTELY NOT run 30-40 amps through a 1/4" faston.

The fact that you cannot find a die in that size should be a large warning sign, as I don't think that style of crimp can carry that kind of amperage either. terminals for this size of wire are usually full sleeve.

Agree. The specs may be there but I wouldn't consider it a "best practice"...

TE Connectivity has it listed at 60A. I was thinking of using it to connect the 8AWG B lead to the 12AWG fusiblelink going to mastercontactor.

I would not use a terminal of this style for 60A, regardless of the rating. Full sleeve terminals are MUCH stronger and ring terminals much more secure. Not a lot of grip with fastons. What if it comes loose? I think you are struggling to find a die because no one uses that style of crimp for wires of that size.

I would want a much more secure connection for my alternator output. For an inline fuseable link, I would just solder in a short length of smaller ga wire or use a butt splice connector if you don't like that.

Last edited:
That doesn't seem like a good connector choice to me. The AWG 8 wire is really stiff and those faston tabs are not that strong. I would try to find an alternate arrangement to accomplish what you are trying to do. Maybe a firewall mounted fuse block which could have a ring terminal would be better. That is what I did. Not saying that is the best option but I think it worked out pretty well so far.

Back