What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GMA 245R MKR?

bjdecker

Well Known Member
Ambassador
Browsing the Garmin website today, I encountered a link for a previously unknown variant (to me at least) of the GMA 245 -- to wit: GMA 245R MKR, a remote GMA 245 with a Marker Beacon Receiver option.

It interfaces with the G3X Touch via CANBus, and the O/M/I indications show up on the PFD next to the Altimeter tape.

I think it's interesting that Garmin added this feature circa 2019...but only for the remote version.

So, G3Xpert/Garmin when can we benefit from your largess and see a version of the GMA 245 with a marker beacon option?

The GMA 245R MKR was developed as a PMA variant for G3X Touch Certified installations in Part 23 aircraft.

A GMA 245 MKR panel mount is not currently planned, as the GMA 345 is an available option for an audio panel with MKR. The -345 would not interface to the G3XT over CAN in the same manner, however.

A GMA 245 MKR panel mount is not currently planned, as the GMA 345 is an available option for an audio panel with MKR. The -345 would not interface to the G3XT over CAN in the same manner, however.

...Bummer...

Why would anyone want MB?

Just a little more situational awareness -- Also could be handy when the GPS becomes unavailable during the approach and your VOR/ILS receiver is tracking the inbound and you don't have DME or another VOR receiver...

Any chance for the remote GMA 245R MKR to be integrated into the G3X Touch, i.e. configuration additions, sensitivity HI/LO control and marker display when passing?

Any chance for the remote GMA 245R MKR to be integrated into the G3X Touch, i.e. configuration additions, sensitivity HI/LO control and marker display when passing?

Given that it is a remote-mounted audio panel, this is the only way it could work.

Just a little more situational awareness -- Also could be handy when the GPS becomes unavailable during the approach and your VOR/ILS receiver is tracking the inbound and you don't have DME or another VOR receiver...

I think the gist of Walt’s post was that marker beacons are getting pretty rare. All of our local airports that used to have them have removed them.

Back