What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS904 Cleanup and Fluting

Bayou Bert

Well Known Member
I am finally working on the RV9 emp.
I am now to cleaning up and fluting the HS ribs.
The ribs I received do not look like the ribs on the plans.
They have 4 notches per flange, plans show notches only
in the corners. These are very flexible, do they still need
to be fluted?
What is best way to clean in all the notches?
I have Scotchbrite wheel for eh long runs.
All recommendations greatly appreciated
http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t645/johnbert88/HS904_zpsadb3d0d0.jpg

Last edited:
deburring tool

Bert- Search "deburring tool" on the internet- I found that the tool that looks like a bent wire sticking out of a straight handle works well for that, also dremmel tool with cratex abrasive point. I think you can find the "bent wire looking tool" at Lowes or Home Depot.

Fluting

Bert. Put the rib on a straight flat surface, with the flanges
Facing upward.
Flute where needed in order for it to sit flat
On the surface. If you over flute, just compress
The flute a bit with pliers until it sits flat.

I ran into this when doing my HS. I buggered a couple of ribs and ordered replacements. The original ribs came like he ones shown in the plans and the replacement ribs were what you are describing. I think they are not heat treating them like they used to.

The original ribs did not come in blue plastic and required fluting and straightening for fit. The newer ribs came in blue plastic and did not need any fluting because of the intermediate releif cuts on the upper and lower flanges. I called Van's and they said these were the new style and they are interchangeable.

Hope this helps.

Also, I deburred the tiny releif cuts by doing the following:

I took a red scotchbrite pad and cut an approximate 1/2" strip lengthwise. I stapled one end to the edge of my workbench and twisted the other end by hand until it became a tight "cord." Then, using my other hand I ran the rib's releif cut back and forth over the cord. Each cord lasted about 2-3 cuts before it shredded and I had to make a new one, but it worked like a charm for me.

Last edited:
Back