What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bonding hinges to cowling pieces

Rick RV-4

Well Known Member
I'm heading to the Home Depot Aviation Store today, and was wondering if anyone can recommend a particular epoxy glue (or any other type of adhesive) that has worked well in bonding the hinges on to the cowl pieces (as the plans recommend). I'm out of pro-seal, or I'd just use that.

Thanks in advance!

epoxy

Hey Rick,
I just used West Systems epoxy to bond the hinge halves to the cowl. Make sure you clean both the cowl part and the aluminum part well (use a dewaxer type product) so the epoxy bond isn't comprimised by the presence of wax or oil. Then rough up the adhesive area on the cowling and hinge with 60 grit, apply the epoxy, cleco everything in place and start riveting. I also drilled a few holes (in between the rivets) in the aluminum hinge so the epoxy could flow through it. I'm not sure that last part makes any difference...
Make sure you have some acetone handy to keep your riveting surface and squeezer clean.
Good luck!

West system

Hi Rick,
From what I've read on here, most builders use West system epoxy from Spruce. You may also be able to find it at a Marine supple store.

Regards,
Pierre

I used West System for pretty much all of my epoxy needs. Aircraft Spruce sells it, along with a nice & easy pump kit that takes the weighing & guesswork out of the equation.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/westepoxy.php

i.e. kit A-1 (fast) or A-2 (slow) + pump kit 01-00318

Grab some wax-free mixing cups:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/mixingcups.php

Some mixing sticks:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/mixingsticks.php

Some micro balloons:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/bubbles.php

Some flox:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/flockedcotton.php

...and you'll be good to go for pretty much all your epoxy/filling needs.

West Systems

I used WS with Flox and microfiller mixed in. If you are going to use 'over the counter epoxy' make sure you get at least 30 minute set time. This will give you about 20 minutes of work time as you rivet.

FWIW, get a good scale (balance beam or electronic), something that measures in grams, and start mixing your epoxy by weight.

I know a lot of guys use the cheap can pumps with some success, but sooner or later you'll get a bad batch due to improper ratio (bubbles, pump leaks, etc). A balance beam scale is always reliable.

A scale graduated in grams lets you mix very small quantites (like 12 grams) with perfect accuracy. With epoxy at $100 p/gal, it is nice to cut down on waste.

Dixie Hot cups, from your local Costco etc. have a plastic interior coat, not wax. Must be Hot cups, not Cold cups. A lot cheaper than the uncoated stuff.
Don't use foam cups ever. They will melt during the exotherm.
For mixing, you can get Popsicle sticks from your local Crafts store.

Here's another try

Okay, has anyone used just some simple epoxy glue one can find at a hardware store? I'm trying to avoid the high-dollar purchase/waiting (from Aircraft Spruce) for something that is just an "extra" step in the plans.

I live out in the sticks (Del Rio, TX) so hoping to just get something adequate at the Home Depot Aviation Dept. If I gotta go with the Aircraft Spruce purchase, so be it, but was hoping to do something a little easier.

Thanks!

West systems all the way. Hint: You can also get West Systems at pretty much any decent hobby shop. It's used extensively for fiberglass layups and skinning....boats, planes etc.

You might give a product called "PC-7" a try----------it is a filled epoxy that is a thick paste--------thrixoptic or some silly word I cant remember how to spell, and the spell checker has never heard of---------anyway, I have used it for years to bond some really weird things together. Always with good results.

I have not used it for the hinges, but suspect it would work just fine, as long as the parts are clean, and roughed up enough to give the epoxy something to grab onto.

Most hardware stores carry it.

I would do a test on some scrap first.

Good luck,

Mike

Thanks! The PC-7 hint was what I was looking for, and they even carry it here in North Mexico (Del Rio)!

Appreciate it!

dixie cups

gpiney said:
Dixie Hot cups, from your local Costco etc. have a plastic interior coat, not wax. Must be Hot cups, not Cold cups. A lot cheaper than the uncoated stuff.
Don't use foam cups ever. They will melt during the exotherm.
For mixing, you can get Popsicle sticks from your local Crafts store.
when i worked at the dixie cup plant most of the machines used silicon/e applied to the top of the cup to help curl it. so the top curl iron would not stick to it as it is very hot. make sure you check for residue before using them. it was mostly on the larger machines 32oz IIRC.i wipe out the smaller cups with mek. just did a canopy last week for a freind and man did it stick well.

Back