What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camping in WA, OR or NorCal?

Mountain Time

I have the good fortune to have a light week coming up at the office, and we finally have some good weather forecast for western Washington (its been a lonnngggg and gray winter out here). So, I'm thinking of loading the camping gear in the plane and heading out for a 2 or 3 night trip, just visiting some airports in the Pacific NW. The idea would be to fly each day, do some aerial sightseeing, and land by late afternoon and get camp set up. Maybe a hike or some other exploration, then back to camp for a cold one and some dinner, etc. - you get the idea. :D Then off to somewhere else the next day.

I've flown into Nehalem Bay airport in Oregon but have not stayed there. They do have on-field camping and it looks like a fairly short walk into Manzanita. So that might be an option. But I'd appreciate suggestions for other locations too, and they could be basically anywhere in Washington, Oregon, down into Norcal, etc. If walkable/hikeable for food etc. that's great but not necessary.

Looking forward to what the experienced RV campers have to say on this - thanks in advance for the feedback!

(Mods - feel free to move to regional or other forum, I didn't see one that seemed to fit this specifically....)

Nehalem Bay is great. The camp sites on the airport are non-reserved so first-come-first-served for pilots.

Other ideas:

Orcas - KORS
Electric City - 3W7
Daybreak (N of Vancouver, WA)

Eastern Washington:
09S, Sullivan Lake in Eastern WA north of Spokane, just south of the Canadian border.

Then just a few minutes farther:
66S Cavanaugh Bay, right on Priest Lake in North Idaho not far from 09S.

SZT, Sandpoint Idaho right on Lake Pend Oreille (pond-ah-ray) and finally...

3U2, Johnson Creek in the Idaho Mountains numerous RVs have visited there. Except Vlad. Strange... :p

Fly safe and enjoy your time off... :)

Eastern Washington:
09S, Sullivan Lake in Eastern WA north of Spokane, just south of the Canadian border.
Stitch-Have you been into Sullivan Lake with an RV? Last time I was there (though it has been a while) it was not terribly smooth. Wouldn't have concerns taking something with bigger tires, but wouldn't take an RV in there without a recent (and promising) PIREP.

I've flown into Nehalem Bay airport in Oregon but have not stayed there. They do have on-field camping and it looks like a fairly short walk into Manzanita. So that might be an option.

We have a home in Manzanita. It is a one mile walk to our house from the airport and another few blocks to Laneda Street, the main drag. So, yes, very walkable. You can walk the Beach but add a few hundred yards more.
Decent food at the San Dune Pub, Bakery for breakfast, Manzana's Pizza, and several other choices.
If you want to hike the beach, I would recommend going down the spit to the North Jetty. It is a healthy walk, about 5 miles round trip from the airport, but you can slice off as much as you like. Take the service road south of the camp ground by the Horse camp if the wind is blowing so you can walk the beach downwind. It is more protected and makes it a more pleasant hike.

Daybreak is about 3NM from our home in Battleground. It is a pretty spot next to the river, but there is nothing really to see or do and no potable water. I am not sure if they have the porta john there anymore. I used to double buckle the kids (adults now) in the back of the Champ and take them swimming there. Water is always COLD but it is really cold right now.

Have fun and post your Pirep on the trip.

Smiley Creek, ID (U87) has a campsite right next to the runway, showers, shelters, fire wood and a courtesy mini-bus (if it's still going). The restaurant and lodge is a short walk away.
Long grass runway and great views of the Sawtooth Mountains.

Camping in CA

I was at HAF Halfmoon bay last week on the south end of the taxi way that leads to the little town of Princeton. There is a fire ring picnic table fire wood and fire extinguisher. Looks like a nice place to camp. Walk to lots of little restaurants shops and brewery.

Lots of good suggestions. much appreciated! With JonJay's added info I think Nehalem Bay looks like a prime candidate for this trip, so i'll keep an eye on weather for next week out on the coast (I've been stuck with morning fog at Seaside before, and it can take a while...)

Greg's suggestions also look good, Orcas is close by and I've been up there several times, so i'm looking a little further afield. Electric City may be an option.

Stitch, Cavanaugh Bay looks great, I'll need to check further and get a sense of field condition to see if it is dried out and good for an RV - maybe too early in the season? Sullivan Lake is closed until June 1 and I assume it is for that same reason - maybe not in good shape yet. Johnson Creek maybe a little far for this trip, I know it is also a very popular destination.

Sisters also looks good, and would get me over on the east side of the Cascades, so that also has some appeal. Columbia, CA also looks very cool but a little far afield for this first try at a quick fly/camp trip. Maybe on a later adventure.

So I'm feeling like maybe Nehalem Bay, and either Cavanaugh Bay or Sisters, as my leading candidates for this trip - maybe Electric City if the coast doesn't look good for some reason.

I picked up a new camera a few months back so will attempt to get some decent shots for a pirep. Looking like I will shoot to make the trip this coming week (fingers crossed).

Thanks again -

KORS Camping

I'm flying to Alaska 27 May thru 29 May. Plan to stop overnight at Orcas Island. They have camping tie-downs. Showers are close and fuel is right there as well. Pilot lounge too.

Courtesy car might be available, bicycles too with locks. Town is within walking distance at 3/4 mile on a path. Looks like a great place to visit-hotels are spendy on the Island though.

Contacted Airport manager and he reported to check NOTAMs due to runway upgrades. Haven't been there yet, but heading that way tomorrow the 27th.

Plan to depart early AM for Ketchikan, AK on the 28th. Winds and clear sky forecast.

Orcas is a great place, I've not camped there but as you say, an easy walk to town, good food and activities, etc etc. The San Juans are really beautiful on a nice day.

Friday Harbor on San Juan Island is also excellent, with fuel and an easy walk to downtown, though no camping that I know of.

Call Alan at 208-659-8198, field keeper at Cavanough Bay, Priest Lake. I would assume he has the field pristine.

I wish Oregon had some grounds, strip keepers like Alan. A prime location with camping on field or very nice across highway next to river, rafting, fishing, hiking, hotsprings, shuttles, bike rentals and 26mile mountain bike trail listed #1 in the country by some...is 00S McKenzie Bridge.

Field is "no wheel pants" but a little work it could be like the best of Idaho!

2pzk3mv.jpg

2iucmqo.jpg

Cavanaugh (66S) is a sweet little strip. 30yds from a resort with a great restaurant, free firewood, courtsey car, and hot showers if that's your thing. Free camping for pilots :) You can call the airport manager and get a feel for current conditions, forget his name and number but it's published. Runway was fine for my Archer, 3 friends, and full load.

Check out www.PacificNorthwestflying.com they have great airport summaries and pireps.

Call Alan at 208-659-8198, field keeper at Cavanough Bay, Priest Lake. I would assume he has the field pristine.

I wish Oregon had some grounds, strip keepers like Alan. A prime location with camping on field or very nice across highway next to river, rafting, fishing, hiking, hotsprings, shuttles, bike rentals and 26mile mountain bike trail listed #1 in the country by some...is 00S McKenzie Bridge.

What do you mean by no wheel pants?

What do you mean by no wheel pants?

A little rougher than say Cavanough Bay and some rodent holes that could catch low pants. Touch down area better than top end of uphill strip. Parking even less smooth.
BTW; One way in up hill. One way out down hill trees on each end...

A little delay . . .

Well, the fabulous forecast for this week has turned out to be not so fabulous now that the week is here - back to same ol same ol gray here in the Seattle area. Being a VFR pilot in this part of the country is a character building experience, for sure. :rolleyes:

Along with some not so great weather for camping (even if flyable), over the weekend I noticed my left main tire looking pretty thin on the outboard portion, and having just read a current thread on this it got me thinking: do I want to risk a problem somewhere a ways from home? Nope. So, new tires on the way from Spruce, and I'll get those on (along with a brake lining change, still on the original linings after 12 years and ~700 landings!) this weekend.

I'll make the trip to Cavanaugh Bay and Nehelem State sometime within the next month or so, weather and work permitting, and will post a PIREP then. One added benefit: my wife was overheard talking about the Cavanaugh Bay location and how it would be something she might want to check out. So, the extra lead time offers a chance to refine my plan and get her to go along. Those of you with SOs who are reluctant to fly with you, as in my case, know how significant something like this might be... :)

John, I heard Cavanough Bay Resort restaraunt re-opened. They are on the lake at the end of the strip. Let us know, try the whole menu and report back. :p

We try to get to Manzanita at least once a month. Let us know when you might be there. If we are there, I would love to see your airplane I never met an RV I didn't like.

Well, the fabulous forecast for this week has turned out to be not so fabulous now that the week is here - back to same ol same ol gray here in the Seattle area. Being a VFR pilot in this part of the country is a character building experience, for sure. :rolleyes:

Along with some not so great weather for camping (even if flyable), over the weekend I noticed my left main tire looking pretty thin on the outboard portion, and having just read a current thread on this it got me thinking: do I want to risk a problem somewhere a ways from home? Nope. So, new tires on the way from Spruce, and I'll get those on (along with a brake lining change, still on the original linings after 12 years and ~700 landings!) this weekend.

I'll make the trip to Cavanaugh Bay and Nehelem State sometime within the next month or so, weather and work permitting, and will post a PIREP then. One added benefit: my wife was overheard talking about the Cavanaugh Bay location and how it would be something she might want to check out. So, the extra lead time offers a chance to refine my plan and get her to go along. Those of you with SOs who are reluctant to fly with you, as in my case, know how significant something like this might be... :)

Orcas Island weather on Saturday was severe clear, same on Sunday when I left at 9am. Great paved runway has been resurfaced, needing some markings.

The tent camping area was almost full. Got to know some really interesting fellow campers. The view was excellent. Will try to post a photo of the camping area tonight when I get home from work.

Re: Nehelem

Did Nehelem for the first time last August. Cool spot and not too far into town. Wind was maybe 4kts from the south so I opted for landing on 15, I would not do this again.

Terrain slopes up quickly to the north into a costal range and, for me at least, had me in a tight base to final. Maybe I just need to get more comfortable flying low over trees but it was not optimal for me personally and I was long on the touchdown. Point is if I go back I'm landing 33 even if there is a slight tailwind.

I would also strongly favor 15 for departure, you have plenty of space out over the bay. I've seen some terrifying videos of a high-wing being pushed into the trees by a strong gust off the coast.

Also if you get a chance you can pop over to TMK about 10 or 15 away. Beautiful pilot lounge and even a little hotel room for pilots to overnight. You can take the courtesy car into town and tour the creamery. We named it the spider-car though so be aware, be careful of the spider-vents too...

Last edited:
Did Nehelem for the first time last August. Cool spot and not too far into town. Wind was maybe 4kts from the south so I opted for landing on 15, I would not do this again.

Terrain slopes up quickly to the north into a costal range and, for me at least, had me in a tight base to final. Maybe I just need to get more comfortable flying low over trees but it was not optimal for me personally and I was long on the touchdown. Point is if I go back I'm landing 33 even if there is a slight tailwind.

I would also strongly favor 15 for departure, you have plenty of space out over the bay. I've seen some terrifying videos of a high-wing being pushed into the trees by a strong gust off the coast.

Good advice. A south wind is unusual here. Prevailing is W-NW. Since the trees have grown, cross wind landings are much easier than before but expect a burble off of them as you transition below them. I have had some exciting landings there and seen some really scary ones. I have never landed to the South in all the years I have flown into there.
I keep a hangar now inland in Tillamook with many more options, but that is 45 minutes drive away.

Stitch, Cavanaugh Bay looks great, I'll need to check further and get a sense of field condition to see if it is dried out and good for an RV - maybe too early in the season?

Thanks again -

I went there a while back for a burger-burn fly-in. Lots of RVs, other homebuilts,-172s and assorted other spam cans. Few in on a -185, but back out in a Bonanza with an almost full bag of gas and two fat guys on a hot day. As long as the field's in good shape, you'll be fine. OBTW, Cavanaugh's resort is pretty nice to, and and easy walk from the strip.

Back