What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-7 Empennage for a -8

thoma015

Well Known Member
So I ordered the preview plans for a 7 which should arrive tomorrow. I plan to order the Emp kit by the end of the month, but im second guessing myself whether to build a -7 or -8. Looking at the price difference for between the two empennage kits, im assuming one won't work for the other.

I was hoping to make up my mind during the build process of the emp kit. Can anyone confirm my suspicion?

Emp difference

Hawk
The two have some parts shared but not all. I don't think they can be swapped.
If you post your concerns, I'm sure someone will help you decide.

The rudder is different for sure. The horizontal stab is also slightly different. Not sure about the vertical stab or elevators.

So I ordered the preview plans for a 7 which should arrive tomorrow. I plan to order the Emp kit by the end of the month, but im second guessing myself whether to build a -7 or -8. Looking at the price difference for between the two empennage kits, im assuming one won't work for the other.

I was hoping to make up my mind during the build process of the emp kit. Can anyone confirm my suspicion?

I've built the 7 and the 8. If sitting side by side is not an issue, go with the 8. It is more fun to fly.

Seems to me, without looking it up, as tail feathers go, the 9 uses .016, the 7 .020 and the 8 .032. I could have had a dream though so don't quote me on it. My brain is full of numbers that need be confirmed. :)

Hawk
The two have some parts shared but not all. I don't think they can be swapped.
If you post your concerns, I'm sure someone will help you decide.

My concerns are really just my inability to make a decision and stick with it. The wife says she wants to sit next to me but she doesn't really care for flying anyhow. I love the centerline seating of the -8 and stick in right throttle in left hand.

Wife

Easy
How important is it to have a happy wife beside you? Lots of us made the same choice.
My wife loves to fly and wanted to sit beside. Happy wife.
You could fly from the right seat.

Nice thing about the 7 is that you can fly from either side and training is easier, IMO.

I originally bought an RV-8 tail kit because I liked the centerline seating and the more 'fighter jet' feel.

My -8 tail kit was delivered and before I even opened it, I decided to go with the RV-7 because of the side-by-side seating. My dad is not a pilot, but absolutely loves flying with me in my other homebuilts (and now my Cherokee).

So the more I thought about it, I wanted him beside me so he could see the panel, flip switches, play with the GPS, etc...

Plus, something else I discovered I really like about having another seat beside me is that since I fly 90% of the time by myself, I always seem to take a cooler of food with meals, snacks, etc... I like having the other seat as an area to put my food, charts, and what ever else.

I ended up selling the -8 tail kit at a $500 loss, and bought the RV-7 tail kit.

If I ever build another RV (which is likely) I'll build the 8.

Back