What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oregon requires pilots to register $12 a year

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinger

Well Known Member
http://www.oregon.gov/aviation/pages/pilotreg.aspx

RS 837.020 requires every pilot operating within Oregon to register with the Oregon Department of Aviation. By law, registration must take place within 60 days of issuance of any "appropriate effective federal certificate, permit, rating or license relating to competency as a pilot" - with the exception of student pilots, who must register prior to their first solo flight. Non-resident pilots must also register with Dept of Aviation if flying in Oregon. Only non-resident pilots flying in order for major air carriers are exempt from pilot registration requirement, so long as they do not engage in any recreational flying or personal business, such as charter, agricultural operations, flight instruction, etc. in Oregon.

Registration fees are set by statute at a mere $12 initial fee for the first year. They are subsequently renewable on the anniversary of the pilot?s birthday for $24, which covers a two-year window of time. Every registered pilot must notify the Department in writing within 30 days of a change of address or change of name. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

That's just ridiculous, bordering on egregious. I can cut Oregon from my list of places I plan to visit. And I always wanted to visit Van's....

That's been in place for some time. Come up to Oregon, visit any airport, and ask local pilots to see how many are registered with the state...

That said, the funds are used for search and rescue programs. And, the Oregon Dept of Aviation, short staffed as they are, are some of the nicest and most helpful government official's I have even interacted with. They even (way outside of their charter) helped get my lost wallet returned to me in Atlanta one day (I was not even aware yet I had lost it).

We don't pay taxes on aircraft up here (very different than California), there's no sales tax for anyone buying stuff in Oregon, and in the grand scheme of things the number of local people who actually do register with the ODA and pay their $12 a year (or even know they are technically supposed to) is few.

But mandatory for out of staters? Yeah that's just dumb, And unenforceable. And should not stop anyone from coming to this awesome part of the country. "What registration?"

Last edited:
Search and Rescue

Come on guys and gals we are talking about $12.00 that goes into a dedicated account for Search and Rescue. If you add up all the sales tax I paid on my plane, with the pilot registration, it equals $12.00. :) Some others will weigh in here with more knowledge than me but I have never heard of this being enforced. I know it is not written as voluntary but it appears to be treated that way. I have never had a problem paying it. If this is what keeps you out of our state, your loss. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Wait, I don't live in or have an aircraft registered in Oregon but I have to register with Oregon because I fly to or through Oregon on occasion?

Seriously?

New law, every out of state car/driver in California must now register their car and get a CDL (paying ALL the fees we pay of curse) even if you are only visiting the state for the day. Budget problem solved. ;)

You can not defend that one guys. Since when does any money earmarked by any government go to what it's supposed to.

No thanks.

Wait, I don't live in or have an aircraft registered in Oregon but I have to register with Oregon because I fly to or through Oregon on occasion?

Seriously?

New law, every out of state car/driver in California must now register their car and get a CDL (paying ALL the fees we pay of curse) even if you are only visiting the state for the day. Budget problem solved. ;)

Oregon's next step will be to convert I-5 into a toll road. Maybe some of that hemp smoke is drifting south of the border.

A small township near Charleston, SC is contemplating charging all non-resident users the cost of emergency services rendered. "Sir, before I administer CPR, may I see a valid credit card?"

After administration and enforcement expenses, I wonder how much revenue the ODA projects to net by charging non-resident pilots an annual registration fee? If this catches on with other states, what impact will it have on GA interstate travel and local aviation businesses...particularly those airport businesses and cafes located near state lines.

Once the smoke clears, I hope the Oregon officials revisit their non-resident policy.

Looks like another law subject to civil disobedience.

Idaho until recently had a similar pilot registration requirement for residents. It was supposedly earmarked for SAR. But it has been dropped since it's really an aircraft SAR seeks, not a pilot. Now aircraft registration has been bumped from $.01 to $.03 per pound of gross weight in lieu of property tax, to serve all aviation related activities in the state. Far more sensible.

Typical of OR to add more bureaucracy and taxes, and brother, you'd better not pump your own gas (another opportunity for civil disobedience).

John Siebold

OR Regs.

When they asked me to renew a couple yrs ago I was inactive so I told them that and haven't heard anything since. Will be interesting when I go active again if they catch it. Our AV Dept.is very small so I don't begrudge them the 12 bucks....

Nice also we don't get dinged for tax on our RV's. Wonder what the taxes are like in CA for instance?

Stay safe,

Jerry

Remember a while back when FL wanted to charge sales tax to anyone that landed in the state and had purchased a plane elsewhere in the last six months?

And that they were going to have agents on the ground and enforce it at Sun-n-Fun?

That sure put a damper on people coming into the state, and eventually the law was rescinded. I think they only dinged a couple of people, and they may have eventually gotten their taxes back, although not sure...

While your not visiting Oregon remember that we don't have any sales tax and aircraft registration in Oregon is very inexpensive.

And the Bend airport has gas for $4.99 a gallon :)

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

While your not visiting Oregon remember that we don't have any sales tax and aircraft registration in Oregon is very inexpensive.

And the Bend airport has gas for $4.99 a gallon :)

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Good thing I didn't know about this as I just left Creswell this morning (maybe that explains the bunch of flashing lights on my 6 that I had to outrun across the border:eek:). The lack of sales tax and cheap registration doesn't do much for anyone transient.

This is old news on a statute that has been around for years and is not enforced. No need for VAF to get all worked up over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back