What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint Time

Do they paint it with the rudder and other control surfaces still attached? Maybe they are still prepping in this photo. If they paint while the plane is together, it seems like they wouldn't be able to get all the way around the leading edges of the surfaces.

I've been wondering about paint for my RV-7. I painted my other two airplanes so I'd like to paint my RV. I painted all the pieces separate, took them all to the airport, and then assembled it all.

Have others done this on RV's? I'm a long way off from painting, but it's been something I've been wondering how I'm going to accomplish.

Tim, that was fantastic!!!!!!!!!

This young guy is a good painter as welll a tattoo artist, he managed to paint without take all surfaces, except those fiberglass, it will take a total of 15 full work days, I bought a paint that is used on embraer aircrafts called Reflex, And contracted a guy that did a nice jod on drawing my scheme. Take a look captains

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p744/Guilherme_Plassmann/image.jpg1_zpsuxqlr6br.jpg

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p744/Guilherme_Plassmann/image.jpg1_zpsbbpitezj.jpg

Awsome paint scheme

I am wondering about doing my own paint as well. Endura paint here in Edmonton will supply it i think although to apply it you need an air supply for the worker.

What did you have to pay for that scheme? I was in Sun N fun a year ago and the people there wanted 1000 U.S. to allow you total design freedom on their website and the result would be printouts and guides to apply the paint scheme. This was a little rich for my liking.

At any rate your designer is pretty cool would like to know how to contact him.

I am doing my paint, I just dont see how you can properly prep, clean and spray with out at least all the controll surfaces coming off.

Paint

I am doing my paint, I just dont see how you can properly prep, clean and spray with out at least all the controll surfaces coming off.

I was thinking the same thing , must have the Earl Scheib's of Brazil on the job .

Last edited:
Cessna paint shop

I worked at the Cessna Wallace division paint shop a looong time ago. We didn't remove any control surfaces for painting piston twins, turboprops and biz jets. They were anodine/anodized and primed, then test flight, after that paint, bake, and deliver. We used big pressure pots and a heated booth with a waterfall in the back to collect over spray. That was before HVLP.

Last edited:
Paint

Painting with the control surfaces on is certainly one way to do it, but except for the flaps don't they need to come off anyway to check balance after paint?

Don B

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress.

I could be wrong, but I'd put money on when you take the flight controls off for balancing, you will see a lot of areas that did not get properly primed/painted if it was all sprayed with the control surfaces attached.

Perhaps this is why it can be completed in 15 days?

Back