What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Los Angeles Area Hangars?

apkp777

Well Known Member
Hey all, I have the option to take a job in L.A. I would be working at LAX and have NO idea where a good home for the RV would be (my wife and I could use a good place as well). I am looking at housing down toward Long Beach/San Pedro etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hangars

Long Beach (KLGB), Hawthorne (KHHR), Zamperini Field in Torrance (KTOA), and Compton/Woodley (KCPM) are all good choices. All of them have a waiting list for hangars.
EAA Chapter 96 at KCPM have a few spaces available in their hangar. I may even have space in mine depending on how soon you need a hangar.

Get your checkbook out Tony. Aren't hangers there like $5 million a month? :D

Weather is nicer there though. Just look out for all the police helicopters.

I have family in San Pedro. Kind of wild around there compared to life in Wisconsin!

Come to Salem Oregon,(KSLE) 3 years old and $156k. 70 by 50 , 60 foot open door and 16 feet door clearance. Second floor office. 500' from threshold of rnwy34.

hard to beat that!
Ron

LA HAngers

Check out CNO and CCB lots of RV's at both. CCB has a "waiting list" but I suspect it is symbolic and there prices are pretty good. EMT and POM probably have hangers but not the friendliest of airports. A good friend lived in Torrance and kept his plane at CCB for about 20 years (he recently moved to PA) so it is possible LAX to airports in the east end and still enjoy your flying.

By the way I am a little partial to CCB as that is where I keep my plane. The saturday lunch group is getting smaller we need more folks any way :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the responses. I am going to make an "exploratory" trip next week to take a look. My initial feeling is that Chino and Cable would be quite a commute from LAX. Whereas Longbeach and south would be better? Compton or HHR would certainly be closer.

Xavier - The time frame is still in question. I suspect I will have to make a final decision/report around March ish. Perhaps later.

Jesse - 5 million is probably an bit high LOL. Yes, WI life is pretty quiet compared to CA. But, I lived in the Bay Area for 6 years and we loved it. I kids are grown now and it'd just be my wife and I and the RV. Or maybe the RV and I and the wife. Not sure of the order there.

Ron- My wife is from Salem. Don't tempt us (her). All her family is there. I think I met you there once.

Oh My GOSH TONY! Now I know why I was drawn to answer your request! It was in the air! That all around feeling. (7S5) Independence Oregon just west of here 10 miles. Maybe thee largest airpark west of the Mississippi. Home to Vans Home Coming. Most homes there are combo units that is you have your hangar attached to the house. Coastal mountain range protects the valley from the rain. We have about 170 members in our EAA chapter 292. Always 50-60 members show up on average for the monthly meetings. This area is where all the California's are moving to. Lots of vinyards around here. Great place to fly from to where ever. NO SALES TAX! Many plane hangars without homes too! Live in West Salem and drive 10 minutes to the airport! I could keep going! Now check prices of gas for 100LL in California before you buy a home there! Just saying. You might only be able to taxi your plane let alone get it in the air. Plus there are lots of Helos in the air all the time. Is that what you call retirement. Bad enough with all those decoys. You'll have to invest in ADS-B. We have Garmin here at Salem (KSLE) and they are expanding again and will have job openings for another group of engineers this summer or fall.. Hangars here in Salem rent for $200 a month for a C-172. Insurance to, you'll want to check. Its just a hour flight right to Boeing field and flight museum. Hope your wife sees this email first. OH one more thing you cannot bring your CHEESE HAT to Oregon from Wisconsin or if you can't seem to depart with it place it in a clear plastic bag and store it on the top shelf in the guest bedroom. This is Seahawks territory! Just so you know.Take care my friend.

Ron in Oregon RV9A

Torrance

Thanks guys for the responses. I am going to make an "exploratory" trip next week to take a look. My initial feeling is that Chino and Cable would be quite a commute from LAX. Whereas Longbeach and south would be better? Compton or HHR would certainly be closer.

Xavier - The time frame is still in question. I suspect I will have to make a final decision/report around March ish. Perhaps later.

Jesse - 5 million is probably an bit high LOL. Yes, WI life is pretty quiet compared to CA. But, I lived in the Bay Area for 6 years and we loved it. I kids are grown now and it'd just be my wife and I and the RV. Or maybe the RV and I and the wife. Not sure of the order there.

Ron- My wife is from Salem. Don't tempt us (her). All her family is there. I think I met you there once.

Tony,

There are a handful of active RVers based at Torrance. Even though there is a waiting list for "city" hangars, it's usually pretty easy and hassle free to find space to rent or a hangar to sublet while on the waiting list. Let me know when you're going to be in town and I would be glad to meet with you and show around TOA.

Skylor
RV-8 N808SJ

Thanks guys. Sounds like there are some good options. I have some time before I make the move. I have been "driving around" using Google Earth Street View (pretty cool). Other than the freeways I like what I see. The housing costs are actually pretty comparable to WI.

Hope to see some of you out west soon.

I lived in San Pedro for a number of years before moving to Texas. I really like that area, it has a lot of nice local retaurants and still some small-town feel. In San Pedro stick West of Gaffey for the most part until you get out towards Pt Fermin. I lived out by 25th and Western. The Rancho Palos Verdes area is also very nice, my parents had a Condo there before they retired.

I worked at Boeing across the street from LAX. The commute from San Pedro to LAX wasn't all that bad, but I would still go early to avoid the traffic. I also commuted on my motorcycle most of the time which helped quite a bit.

Thanks all for the responses. Having a home for your RV is a lot like having a home for your kids. Tough decisions! Sounds like L.A. has some good options. I should know shortly whether or not I will be officially transferring. It's possible I may end up in SFO. I am a little more familiar with that area having lived there (20 years ago). My 1st preference however is LA.

Back