What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-360-M1B engine with AFP injection

Carl Froehlich

Well Known Member
Don Rivera at AirFlow Performance has developed an F-150 fuel injection system and install package that works perfectly with the IO-360-M1B engine and the RV-8 cowl.

This removes the road block many of us had on using AirFlow Performance injection over the old AVSTAR system. I can report this new install package is an exact fit, and is tailored for the standard Van’s Firewall Forward kit.

After replacing the old AVSTAR system on my flying RV-8 and am thrilled I finally got the setup I wanted.

For builders, when you order your engine I suggest you talk to Lycoming to specify the AirFlow Performance system on your new engine.

Carl

Don Rivera at AirFlow Performance has developed an F-150 fuel injection system and install package that works perfectly with the IO-360-M1B engine and the RV-8 cowl.

This removes the road block many of us had on using AirFlow Performance injection over the old AVSTAR system. I can report this new install package is an exact fit, and is tailored for the standard Van’s Firewall Forward kit.

After replacing the old AVSTAR system on my flying RV-8 and am thrilled I finally got the setup I wanted.

For builders, when you order your engine I suggest you talk to Lycoming to specify the AirFlow Performance system on your new engine.

Carl

Carl do you have any pics if your install?

Can you elaborate the issues with the AVSTAR fuel injection system that is installed in the stock IO-360-M1B engine?

No - the new setup uses a reconfigured FM-150 that eliminates the previous cowl interference issue, and greatly simplifies running the mixture and throttle cables. Don is putting the finishing touches on the install instructions - I assume once that is done he will put this on his webpage.

Here is the throttle cable connected. Note the standard Van’s throttle cable bracket on the sump.
87-F624-AE-59-F3-4-FE3-84-CF-22-E82-C3-C3-ABB.jpg

Here is the mixture control (the top control). Again, the standard Van’s throttle cable bracket on the sump (on the other side of the FM-150). The cable connects to a rod that transfers the motion to the other side. This eliminates that mixture bell crank used with the stock AVSTAR system.
FB326-B80-CE7-F-4-AA9-ABD1-F620810-D84-EA.jpg

Here is the mixture control rod that goes over the top of the FM-150:
C4-E6218-B-D8-CD-4418-A860-FB93-B7-FFB08-C.jpg

Don did an excellent job on this kit. It is what you want to use on any IO-360 or IO-390 (other than the IO-390-EXP119 that uses the FM-200).

I had ~270 hours on the engine with the AVSTAR system, and now ~20 hours with the AFP FM-150. I have noted reduced takeoff rolls and even a couple of knots in cruise speed with the same LOP fuel flow (I know, does not make sense but apparently how the engine breaths makes a difference).

Next step. Reviewing the changes to the snorkel for the RV-14 IO-390-EXP119 to eliminate turbulence, I’ll look at modifying my snorkel along the same lines.

Note - Don has offered to do the flow tests on this snorkel modification. I would appreciate anyone having a standard snorkel on the shelf to contact me so Don can have the before and after data. Your snorkel will not be changed.

Carl

Last edited:
FM-150C

Talked with Don at AFP. Very helpful. Don mentioned a variation on the FM-150. It ‘s the FM-150C. You’ll need to coordinate with AFP to get the Charlie model since it’s not what ships new from Lycoming yet. It’s in the pipeline but is still in Vans hands to approve and make the change with Lycoming.

That is looking good.
I had a hard time to get it fixed on my RV-8. No way for me without interference with the cowl no matter how I turned the throttle body. I ended up mounting it 90 deg turned compared to the pics above from Carl. But still the mixture lever interfered with the cowl where I had to make a bump. I do have the Superior cold air sump though.

Back