What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How many does your airport have?

cardinalflier

Well Known Member
My airport, KLHM (Lincoln, Ca.) now has 21 flying RV’s, everything from RV 4’s to RV14’s. Anybody got more at their airport?

To my knowledge, the Falcon Field near ATL has the most. I was told 125. @vern can confirm.

How many RVs

You are fortunate- it’s a chore just to find enough guys to put together a 4 ship here. We just don’t have many RVs in the area

Wow

I think we're at maybe 1 actually at the airport. Several at various stages of completion and still in a garage. Hangars are nonexistent, so some have built their own runway as it's easier than dealing with the airport authority. There's a couple in the area on private runways, but the actual airport, it's difficult.

Our airport has 10 RV's flying and a couple more being built. We figure the 10 represents 30% of the privately owned and operating aircraft on the field.

Conroe, TX. has a bunch too!
Yes it does!

Houston Hooks airport used to have a bunch, but methinks the numbers have dwindled a bit; off the top of my head I can count 8… I’m sure there are a few more, but I never see ‘em. Maybe there are more hiding out in various T hangars?

Currently, 23 of the 81 homebuilts on our field at Serpentine in Western Australia are RV's.

Falcon RV Squadron Peachtree City KFFC

They are hard to count since they are always moving but about 60 with about 120 active folks /and wannabes with more on the way. Someone please correct me if you have more current numbers

Gross number is not a good way to scale this.

A percentage of the total aircraft would seem more meaningful. Otherwise larger airports have a built in advantage.

At our airpark there are 32 hangar homes, and at least 8 RVs

I think that’s about right Vern. I quit counting once it got over 50. I can only count those fingers and toes so many times! BTW, Atlanta Regional- Falcon Field is not a very large airport, but we do have a lot of activity: multiple flight schools, corporate jets, the CAF, occasional military traffic. 4+ ship formations are a nearly daily occurrence. It makes for an interesting pattern!

Last edited:

A percentage of the total aircraft would seem more meaningful. Otherwise larger airports have a built in advantage.

And one household owns almost 1/2 of those.....:eek:

Independence, Oregon 7S5 and Independence Airpark and EAA 292.

28 RVs and 39 other homebuilts including the only full scale DH-2, WW1.fighter.

KWRL

I am the sole RV on the field. :( There used to be a -6 here but he moved a few years back.

There are only 4-6 other RV's in the entire Big Horn Basin. One could say I live in an RV desert. haha

Last edited:
I’m there with you

KWRL

I am the sole RV on the field. :( There used to be a -6 here but he moved a few years back.

There are only 4-6 other RV's in the entire Big Horn Basin. One could say I live in an RV desert. haha

My in progress -8 was the only one around 3T3 for a while. There’s another -6A in pieces now.

Well okay then, Mike - at 12VA the sole aircraft is an RV-10. So we're at 100% of the fleet.

What do I win? :D

You got us beat. 30 hangar homes but only 3 flying RVs and 3 additional RV aircraft under construction. There are more road bound RV here than there are RV aircraft.

A percentage of the total aircraft would seem more meaningful.
60% at 56S.
Okay, we're a tiny airport with a tiny number of aircraft (5). But three of them are RVs (once the guy gets his RV-8 here from where it's been flying off Phase 1.)

As an aside, we (the airport committee and manager) are pursuing options for getting more hangars here (and personally I would like them to be occupied with RV people). Anyone interested PM me please!

We have four RV's, five Yak's, One Air Cam, One AT6, One P-51, One Harmon Rocket, One Witman Tailwind and the rarest of all. One Culver PQ-14. I believe it's the only one flying.

Not a bad collection for an airport that does't have many hangars.

Pat
RV7
KHAF

We have four RV's, five Yak's, One Air Cam, One AT6, One P-51, One Harmon Rocket, One Witman Tailwind and the rarest of all. One Culver PQ-14. I believe it's the only one flying.

Not a bad collection for an airport that does't have many hangars.

Pat
RV7
KHAF

Where is the canard? :)

I'm envious

I don't know of any other RVs at my home field of KLDJ, Linden, NJ. There is a Lancair 360 across the taxiway, but I never see him. Occasionally there is a transient in the tie-downs, but we do have about 15 news choppers. Not the best community airport for me, but it is about an hour closer to my home than anything else with a hangar available, so that convenience is a decent trade off.

Here in the frozen North, I live midway between two EAA chapters…they and their respective airports are 10 miles on either side of me. I’m a member of both chapters. One is a fairly large-but-uncontrolled regional with 40,000 “operations” per year and about 75 hangars and major maintenance/avionics, and the other is a nice little rural airport that reminds me a LOT of the many, many airports I flew to on cross countries to rural Nebraska airports when I was a student pilot 50 years ago. Very nostalgic, but the lack of basic services makes me keep my plane in a T-hangar at the bigger airport and dodge bizjets and regional CRJ 900’s, and Sun Country 737 charters a lot of the time. Not complaining, just observing.

AFAIK, there are only a very few E-AB airplanes between the two chapters only one is an RV, and he gave that plane to his son-in-law last year. The chapters otherwise are primarily certificated airplanes (not that there’s anything wrong with that).

OTOH, I’m about 40 minutes by RV (2 hours by car or Cessna 172) from the Twin Cities RV Builder’s group, and those guys are the real deal. So….F/YI, rural EAA chapters are often different than the ones in more “urban” America. I love my RV and wouldn’t exchange it, but when someone here asks a question and the response is “ask your local EAA chapter…”…I’m not sure there’s a complete understanding of how these things work out here in the sticks.

;)

Last edited:
RVs are well represented at our fly-in community--Van Aire (CO12). I believe we have 80 homes in the neighborhood and 13 flying RVs off the top of my head.

Of note is that we have 3 RV-3s on the field. 1% of the existing RV3 population lives here at our little 'ol field. Aside from *maybe* one RV-8 and the resident Rocket, my -3 is the fastest! :)

Just me

I am the only experimental period at KMRN. It’s kinda sad. Everybody wants to fly the RV though. At least 50 planes, 1 RV.

Only 2 RV's out of 25 at Goose Creek, 28A.

A new-to-me 6A, a buddy's 4, 6 Phantom ultralights, a beautiful Fly Baby, and a Long-Ez under construction.

Back