What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Connecting GoPro to Garmin Audio Panel

newtech

Well Known Member
Patron
My Garmin GMA 240 Audio Panel has a 2.5mm jack on the front panel that can be used for a phone. I want to use a GoPro 9 Black camera (that has a 3.5mm jack) and get headset audio from the GMA 240. Will a simple 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable adapter do the trick? I think using telephone mode for the GMA 240 should provide the audio out. Don't know about signal levels or impedance.

My Garmin GMA 240 Audio Panel has a 2.5mm jack on the front panel that can be used for a phone. I want to use a GoPro 9 Black camera (that has a 3.5mm jack) and get headset audio from the GMA 240. Will a simple 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable adapter do the trick? I think using telephone mode for the GMA 240 should provide the audio out. Don't know about signal levels or impedance.

That might be an input, not an output. Why not just use one of these since its guaranteed to work?

https://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilo...lgmZKz9htAAF4plLjqB2x4Inu3YpVzxxoCXYUQAvD_BwE

Another way of looking at this is what audio signal do you want to go to the camera? A very common choice is to record whatever comes into the headphones. That will give both intercom and radio which is often useful, but sometimes the radio interferes with the intercom. The cable mentioned will give both, and you can see the Y connection so that the camera parallels the headset.

Whereas bluetooth in to the audio panel is common, I'm not sure I've ever seen bluetooth out from an audio panel. Somebody else can correct me on this...

audio out

I have the GMA245 and a Garmin Virb. The GMA245 outputs the headset audio feed to the Virb via bluetooth when paired. As I understand it, the GoPro does not accept a bluetooth audio input and likely never will due to a patent issue held by another company (Garmin?)

I just bought the Pilot Communications cable and it works fine with the GoPro Hero 9. It came with a GoPro brand adapter that plugs into the camera USB C port. You can get the cable with or without the USBC adapter. Your headphone plugs into the cable and the cable plugs into your headphone jack to get the audio from your intercom. The only thing is it will record every communication that comes over the intercom. If you are trying to narrate a video it is best to tune to an off frequency. Sometimes you can’t get a word in edgewise if you are on a busy frequency like 122.9! I also got a set of lens filters off the internet. An ND8 and a shutter speed of 1/60 sec will remove almost all of the prop blur from the video. I ordered the cable direct from Pilot Communications for $80.00 plus shipping. It is about $20.00 more everywhere else.

Another way of looking at this is what audio signal do you want to go to the camera? A very common choice is to record whatever comes into the headphones. That will give both intercom and radio which is often useful, but sometimes the radio interferes with the intercom. The cable mentioned will give both, and you can see the Y connection so that the camera parallels the headset.

Whereas bluetooth in to the audio panel is common, I'm not sure I've ever seen bluetooth out from an audio panel. Somebody else can correct me on this...

While I don't have a BT panel, I do believe that most can accommodate a music input and a telephone connection. In order for the telephone to work the AP BT connection must support in and out, though I am not sure that would work for feeding intercom audio to the gopro.

Larry

I just bought the Pilot Communications cable and it works fine with the GoPro Hero 9. It came with a GoPro brand adapter that plugs into the camera USB C port. You can get the cable with or without the USBC adapter. Your headphone plugs into the cable and the cable plugs into your headphone jack to get the audio from your intercom. The only thing is it will record every communication that comes over the intercom. If you are trying to narrate a video it is best to tune to an off frequency. Sometimes you can’t get a word in edgewise if you are on a busy frequency like 122.9! I also got a set of lens filters off the internet. An ND8 and a shutter speed of 1/60 sec will remove almost all of the prop blur from the video. I ordered the cable direct from Pilot Communications for $80.00 plus shipping. It is about $20.00 more everywhere else.

Jerry, Do you leave the battery door open or get an aftermarket door with a hole for the USB-C? I have not made a vid yet, but what resolution and shutter speed are you using - I heard the 9 might not need the filter. No challenge here as I have no data!

Edit: Thanks for the answer!

Last edited:
The best video so far has been 1080 at 60 frames per second, ISO of 100, and shutter speed 1/60 sec. I am just starting to experiment with different settings however. I leave the battery compartment door open when connecting the USB C.

I'm not familiar with the Garmin 240 audio panel but if it has a 2.5mm jack for a phone then it likely is an TRRS (left out/right out/gnd/mic in) jack that outputs the headset mic signal from the intercom to the phone and brings in the phone far end audio. The GoPro audio input is a 3.5 mm TRS jack (left in/right in/gnd). Most 2.5 to 3.5 adapters are not going to be wired the way you need to make this work. You will likely need to wire a custom cable but should be doable to get audio into the GoPro. You want the mic output (likely the sleeve but I would double check if there's a wiring diaphragm in the GMA manual) from the 2.5mm TRRS to go to the tip and ring on 3.5 mm plug and the gnd on the 2.5mm (likely the 2nd ring) to go to the gnd (sleeve) on the 3.5mm.

Hope that helps.

Back