What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skin Deburring Question

RV701775

On skins and other punched parts where there are curves or bends in the punched area there are significant burrs on each side of the curve that I am finding difficult to debur without taking off quite a bit of material from areas around the curve. If I use a flat needle file it leaves a notch that could create a stress concentration, so I have been using a curved needle file but it is necessary to increase the radius to maintain a well curved surface. This creates a slight hump. I wanted to get some feedback and possibly some photos or examples of how other handle these areas.

Here are my photos:

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7YL1dRvO9&add

I used little scotchbrite wheels from Cleaveland on a Dremel to get things like that. If it was really tight I used 400 grit turners cloth and flossed it.

Have you tried a drill slightly larger than the hole, and roll it between two fingers as you rock it back and forth?

Sharp drill won't require much pressure. A finger from the other hand near the tip helps direct the deburring.

Corner deburring

Don't overthink it. Wrap a piece of maroon scotchbrite around a piece of PVC pipe and roll it in the corner.

Files, needle files, drill bits, deburring tool, abrasive cloth, 400 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper, scothbrite wheels, a bit of scotchbrite cloth on an arbor. Whatever it takes. Trust me, you'll have a drawer full of options soon...

Files, needle files, drill bits, deburring tool, abrasive cloth, 400 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper, scothbrite wheels, a bit of scotchbrite cloth on an arbor. Whatever it takes. Trust me, you'll have a drawer full of options soon...

I'll add a couple to this list: emery cloth (may be the same as abrasive cloth and if so, I'm being redundant), and these little goodies: https://www.amazon.com/Mitchell-Abr...&keywords=abrasive+cord&qid=1590966346&sr=8-4. (comes in various sizes).

Also - sandpaper rolled up into little cigarette-sized rolls, and adhesive sandpaper (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000223SN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) on a popsicle stick....

Last edited:
Hand deburring tool is another option. They work great on larger radius holes and inside corners. I prefer it over using an abrasive for short run work in these areas. The end result can be just as smooth as polishing once you learn the right pressure and angle and how to steady the tool.

Last edited:
1" squares cut out of maroon scotchbrite, then attached to the end of a dremel does an incredible job of smoothing out those nooks and crannies after you use a small file to break the edges.

Amazon is also a gold mine when it comes to small sanding drums for the dremel as well.

You don't need a machine. I don't know why so many people need to have some kind of machine to do something. Hold a piece of sandpaper or scotchbrite in your hand and using your finger rub the piece of sandpaper or scotchbrite across the area to deburr. You don't need a $3,000 scroll air compressor and a $1,500 Desouter angle grinder with a $15 3M rol loc and a $4 rol loc disc to do what a piece of scrap sandpaper you pull out of the trash can will do. But, then again, maybe you do.

He speaks truth

For things like that, a Dremel 516 or Dremel 500 might work. I think I stole this idea from Paul Dye; love the 500 wheel especially.

Back