What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rock Chip Protection

Kentsrv7a

Well Known Member
I just had my nose gear fairings repainted after taking a beating from rocks over the past 7 years. I tried having a local vinyl dealer apply a clear protection product but he could not get it to stay flat over the nose gear strut curves. Does anyone know of a product that can provide protection cheaper than another repaint job?

I just had my nose gear fairings repainted after taking a beating from rocks over the past 7 years. I tried having a local vinyl dealer apply a clear protection product but he could not get it to stay flat over the nose gear strut curves. Does anyone know of a product that can provide protection cheaper than another repaint job?

This is what I'm putting on my -10. I've used it on my car and it works great.
https://www.xpel.com/shop/paint-protection-film

Find a good auto clear bra guy. Mine had to be cut in sections but worked a looked awesome.

the nose gear strut curves
By nose gear strut, do you mean the nose gear leg fairing?
If so, that is easy to do and I have applied clear bra (3M pro series) with great success. I have my leading edge of the wing, HS and gear legs, roll bar, etc and it has done a great job protecting it.

If so, that is easy to do and I have applied clear bra (3M pro series) with great success. I have my leading edge of the wing, HS and gear legs, roll bar, etc and it has done a great job protecting it.

My solution also for the gear leg fairings. The stuff ain't cheap but it really protects the paintwork well.

Did you just use a heat gun and stretch it over the nose of the wheel pant?

Thanks for the ideas. The vendor I used was unable to get it to stay in place. He used Clear Bra as the material. I did not try this myself. Sounds like I need a better vendor!

Blake has quality 3M paint protection film. A bit of practice is usually all you need, maybe some heat, and a bit of patience.

Very good stuff, lasts for 10+ years, comes off clean, and doesn't turn yellow or brittle. AND it is typically less expensive than the competitor's who often want you to buy an entire 100' roll.

3M paint protection film

Last edited:
The trick with applying PPF ("Bra") material is to make up a "slip" and "grip" solution.

Slip is about 2 drips of baby shampoo in a pint of warm water

Grip is about 10% isopropyl alcohol solution in water.

Float the film on wet through with slip, tack into place and trim if needed (I sometimes mark with chinagraph then lift the film, slip some 20 thou mylar under it and cut onto that with a modelling knife (the film wont stick to the mylar). Otherwise sharp scissors will work provided the film is wet

Finally, lift the edges and spray with grip solution then squeeze down with a rubber block. The film will stretch, but its best to do this the minimum amount if poss.

It's one of those things you get better at the more you do. Start with small simple jobs and work up. Wheel pants are actually quite tricky as a first project.

Back