What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Almost an RV-8 Mod

Aero_Octaveus

Well Known Member
Put this on my wish list. An almost an RV-8 mod that lets you sit in the middle on the 6/7/9/14. Oh the elbow room! Who's with me on the petition to Antisplat. :p

I thought of this many years ago when I was building my 6A. The rudder pedal bars were the only tricky part but not impossible. And moving the flap mechanism to an outboard position has already been done.

Why not just get an 8?

I like the center seat option for the side-by-sides. 95% of the time I fly solo. The 5% when I have a passenger I would rather they sit beside me. Point of reference: you can do this with the Sonex line fairly easily.

KF

Great experimental idea! Single seat wide body RV! The biggest challenge on your already built SBS RV seems like it would be modifying the flaps. Once that?s accomplished, you could have a quick change seat cushion arrangement so you can transition back to a two seater easily. Of course you would have to teach your feet to think backwards, using the middle two rudder pedals - either that or fly with your legs crossed!

I see no reason why the flap actuator bar couldn't be welded to the rear so the electric flap motor remains in the center but in the baggage compartment.

You may not need to move the rudder petals, just spread your legs like I used to do when sitting in the center of my old Tcraft.

Increase the cross bar by one size and mount the flap motor on the sidewall like an 8.

Back