What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O340 first flight

Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
RV8 first flight
Jeff Reins's RV8 flew this evening! He used a ECI. O-340 Stroker rated at 177hp.
I was the pilot. I am impressed with this engine in Jeff's RV8!!! He has A Hartzell prop. The airplane weighed in at 1047.

Jay,
Please tell Jeff Rein's I said congratulations! I purchased his RV-7 empennage section a couple of years ago.

Thank you,
Jeff Shaud

You once told me that a light O-320 powered -8 flew as nice as a -4. I would think that an IO-340 powered -8 would be a good compromise between light handling and gobs of power.

RV8 first flight
Jeff Reins's RV8 flew this evening! He used a ECI. O-340 Stroker rated at 177hp.
I was the pilot. I am impressed with this engine in Jeff's RV8!!! He has A Hartzell prop. The airplane weighed in at 1047.

Jay,

Which Hartzell prop is he using????????

Thanks!

James

Lite weight 8

James, and Bill,

I only have 15 minutes on this engine prop combination? The plane excelaration was extra! !!! With 20 gallons of gas.
The prop is a Hartzell HC-C2YR-1BF
Jeff's RV8 has a standard 'heavy' tail wheel. It has the steel standard gear.
I would like to try building a light weight RV8 with Grove Aluninium gear, with Dayton's tail wheel, and a Cato Prop, and the Cubcrafters light weight O-340 sump / engine.

In 1999 I finished a RV8 with O-320 and a wood prop, 1046 pounds,,, the handeling was supper nice. But climb performance was so,so,,,Jeff's airplane,,,, first impressions,,,, are Great! Very similar to my old 8 except better ! With the extra horse power.

Lighter RVs are more fun!

Last edited:
James, and Bill,
I would like to try building a light weight RV8 with Grove Aluninium gear, with Dayton's tail wheel, and a Cato Prop, and the Cubcrafters light weight O-340 sump / engine.
Lighter RVs are more fun!

Don't forget the CubCrafter's O-340 is rated at 80 hp continuous.

Last edited:
Don't forget the CubCrafter's O-340 is rated at 80 hp continuous.

So is the Titan 0-340. Are you saying it can not be run above 80 HP continuous in an experimental non-LSA aircraft?

Their engine is only rated that way for the Light Sport Rule. It is a 180 hp engine and if you build the plane as an experimental, place the throttle where you want and for however long you want. You can fly at 45% all day too. Their 340 would be great on any RV.

So is the Titan 0-340. Are you saying it can not be run above 80 HP continuous in an experimental non-LSA aircraft?

No; I was being facetious! Simply yanking Jay's chain.

You can exceed manufacturer's limits all you want in an experimental amateur-built aircraft.

Here's another IO-340 that flew for the first time last week. Fastback RV-3? Maybe. Or maybe not :)

Tony

elbm1y.jpg

Their engine is only rated that way for the Light Sport Rule. It is a 180 hp engine and if you build the plane as an experimental, place the throttle where you want and for however long you want. You can fly at 45% all day too. Their 340 would be great on any RV.
Flies great on mine!

Back