What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust Valve

stneki

Well Known Member
Patron
On my O-360 carb ECI engine I have about 25 hours since new. It has always been rough running. My GRT EIS shows a very erratic EGT on the # 4cylinder. I checked the exhaust valve with a bore scope and did a leak down test and both are normal.

I removed the exhaust valve spring and checked the exhaust valve wobble with a dial indicator and it showed about .008 play with a cold cylinder.

Is this the correct amount of play or to tight. If to tight, what size reamer do I use?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Steve

0.008 is a tight valve, however that measurement is only valid if you use the geometry of the tool specified in the SB.

Basically, the valve is pushed in about 1/4 inch and the wobble is measured near the middle of a fitting clamped to the top of the valve stem. The wobble is then measured in a vertical direction.

Any other measurement location doesn't really meet the reference numbers in the SB.

This looks like trouble. Does this SB apply to all Lycoming engine serial numbers?

"MODELS AFFECTED: All Lycoming reciprocating aircraft engines unless installed in a rotary-wing aircraft."

Helicopter engines are affected, but on a more frequent time schedule.

Back