What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Low indicated cylinder head temps

stneki

Well Known Member
Patron
I am using a GRT 4000 EIFS and my indicated cylinder temps are around 300 degrees with an outside tempo of 70 degrees. My oil temp is around 220 plus degrees.

I am using the cylinder temp sensors from Tanis Engine Heaters that are installed between the heating elements and the cylinders. I am wondering if the sensors are not calibrated or if this configuration report lower than actual.

Thanks Steve
RV7A Completed

Apples and cumquats

Your title line says "Head" temp, but the body of your message is talking about cylinder heaters, sensors, and temps.

Different critters.............

As a wild guess, I'd say you have K-Type probes and the GRT is expecting J-types.

Can you find the part number on your CHT probes?

A 220 oil temp is on the high side, 180 to 190 is better usually high oil temps are associated with baffling issues and the high pressure air escaping the upper cowling and not providing enough air through the cooler. The temp issue as stated before.
I would expect 220 oil temps with a 100 degree outside temp, but here in Georgia at 70 degrees as you described your on the high side.

The sensors came with the Tanis cylinder head heaters. This is the type that screw in the bottom of the cylinder head. I agree the oil temp is high and usually high oil temp goes along with high cylinder head temp.

I will verify I have the correct type of sensors from Tanis.

Thanks for your help.

Steve
RV7A Completed
Dues Paid

After speaking with the Tanis about my unusually low cylinder temp they indicated that the sensor they use to supply are consistently read about 20 degrees low.

They no longer offer this type and they suggested I contact my EFIS supplier which is Grand Rapids Tech to see if they could calibrate my GRT 4000.

GRT said they could not and suggested I update to a newer sensor or just mentally add 20 degrees.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Back