What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Proseal Cleanup

Proseal

I only used the big one to lay down the final bead. All the fay sealing was done with tongue depressor craft sticks. I tossed the used syringes. It may come out after it cures but that would be a long break waiting.

Bag trick

I used the ziplock bag trick as mentioned in the instructions. Worked out fine except when I used the pleated kind. Dont use the pleated zip lock bags.

But like others, I think I probably have some proseal still on the ceiling.

I found with the cartridges that you fill manually (for the Semco pneumatic applicator), if you just wait a couple of days for the sealant to cure, you can just pull on it and it will come out as mostly one big chunk. It's very resilient. Might work with a syringe.

syringes

I get my syringes from the farm store, usually less than a buck a piece.

Not worth the time to clean them so they go in the trash...

I use a combination of Popsicle sticks, tongue depressors, throw away farm syringes, and baggies, depending on what I am doing. I split a tongue depressor in half and to a pointy end for dolloping on pro-seal over rivet heads in a swirling motion. A little heat from a hair dryer helps make the stuff flow better and assures a good bond void of any trapped air bubbles. I don't reuse the syringes so I just throw them out after use.

We did this all the time when I was working. Let it cure in the syringe, take an air nozzle and put it on the nipple. Shoots it across the hanger every time, two seconds of digging the plunger out of cured PRC and your good to go many many more times.

Thanks for all the sage advice. When installing the stiffners I used my Semco gun and cartridges, cleanup was very easy after waiting 24 hours. Only issue is that the residual ( long nozzle + underneath the plunger) is about 15-20g of Proseal that becomes useless. That equates to about 1 rib worth of Proseal lost per application when using the Semco. Tomorrow, I’m going to try the syringes and use the Semco with a shorter nozzle for the final flange trim out of the ribs once they are all riveted in place....trying to refine the fine line between efficiency and effectiveness. I’ve already known that drywall and cake decorating are two professions that never have to worry about my taking their work. Proseal applicators may soon join the ranks.

I had a couple of used small Semco tubes, hooked the small diameter air nozzle to the air hose and the cap came out like a shot and the nozzle (short) Proseal came out pretty easy too. A little acetone and they looked like new.
I agree with Larry, syringe and tongue depressor/ popsicle stick for buttering the ribs, Semco Gun to lay the beads.

One last question- can I mix up Proseal in the syringes and put them in the chiller to prevent the Proseal from curing too fast?

I've used the SEMCO tubes on two sets of tank; money well spent. The trick to cleaning them is to push out the plunger while still wet; one time I let it dry and ..... into the trash it eventually went.

I suppose it is the same the the large syringe; pull the plunger out while wet and you could work out how to get the sealant out of the inside later. The small syringes this just isn't worth it.

I used veterinary syringes from the local feed store. Let the proseal in them just harden. Later, you can just push/pull the hardened slug of proseal right out. I probably got several uses out of each syringe, but did rotate them out as needed. They are only a couple of dollars each, so buy several.

Let it cure in the tubes, Semco and vet syringes, then blow it out with compressed air. Works 99.9% of the time and is very clean when finished.

Hardware store

I used veterinary syringes from the local feed store. Let the proseal in them just harden. Later, you can just push/pull the hardened slug of proseal right out. I probably got several uses out of each syringe, but did rotate them out as needed. They are only a couple of dollars each, so buy several.

Our local hardware store sells them now too. Apparently painters are using them. Go figure. I've used them to dispense and measure paint from the can for years! No mess.

Sec 5 recommends syringes so I bought 30ea 30cc luer slip syringes off of ebay for $18. I enlarge the hole to 1/8" and the offset tip is good for applying in corners to come back with a popsicle stick. They work good for swirling around the rivet head afterwords.

I figure that's enough to do both tanks. I think I've gone through maybe 5 of them so far and I'm ready to put the rear baffle on the left tank.

I've reused a couple of them after a couple of days (the sealant just pulls out) but after two uses they tend to get sticky because of the sealant stuck in the plunger and on the walls of the syringe. It's cleanable but not worth it.

Back