Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2020, 01:07 PM
unfluencer

Default What did you do with your RV this Weekend (3/14-15/2020)

....getting it started. Some RV folks went to the STOL competition at KGLE, but it was rainy and I think they drove.
  • Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:59 PM

Default $100 Meatloaf?

Wasn't on the weekend - cold and snowy here. Tuesday I moved my transponder antenna out from hidden between the exhaust pipes to under my wing. Thursday I combined a test flight with a $100 hamburger run - actually a C$60 meatloaf run - to a great restaurant southeast of me. Flying Monkey Cafe at the Beiseker, AB airport (CFV2). Short 25 minute flight, good airport, good food, good times.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018

Added GPS 175 and authorized for IFR April 1, 2021

Interactive map of all of my flights here
Old 03-14-2020, 05:30 PM

With somewhat marginal weather, I decided to stay close. So, I got the RV out of the hangar and flew it down to Montgomery Field (MYF), home of Marv Golden Pilot Supplies. I needed some oil, and I figured that Marv's business probably was pretty slow right about now... so why not head down there and support him a bit?

After getting the oil, I supported a local donut shop and then headed back home. Total flying was 40 minutes or so, but still, it was great to get the RV out.

More rain coming, I hear...
Old 03-14-2020, 05:49 PM

Yesterday was instrument flying practice, hand flying rather than using the autopilot. Still spending too much time at one time fussing with the avionics and not flying the airplane. I'm within instrument standards, not really within CFII standards and nowhere near ATP standards -- even though the book says they're the same.

Really need to get the manifold pressure lag taken care of... it increasing workload a lot!
Too many safety posts purged without notice...
Old 03-14-2020, 06:19 PM

Default Moxie and Kate!

I got an early start on the weekend Thursday afternoon. Moxie and I did a river scouting mission. She is to the point she thinks she is Puppy-in-Command...

Scored a nice shot of the Mississippi south of St Paul on the loop around.....

Saturday brought Kate home from Iowa State for spring break and Corona-mandated online classes. We headed out for lunch and social distancing to the nice terminal building at KUBE. Kate was EXCITED to be back in the air!

Said terminal building has Kate's favorite automated back massage machine - getting her to leave can be a challenge.... Social distance mission accomplished, the only people we talked to were on the radio........

Bonus shot from last weekend when I went to South Bend to check up on mom. Western Wisconsin is beautiful just after sunrise....

Amateur Plane - RV-9A N789PH - 2400+ Hrs
Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
Doggies Delivered - 25+
St. Paul, MN

Last edited by petehowell : 03-14-2020 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:51 PM

Today I flew from my home base to get some gas about 35 miles away. Came back and stopped at a local 2000' runway airport. First try I was too fast, at about the 1000' point I was still airborne. I poured on the gas and got the heck out of there. Came around for another try, under better airspeed and altitude control and greased her on.

Today reminded me of this YouTube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccq30minme8&t=56s
Old 03-15-2020, 08:21 PM

I was in Maryland this week. My friend there has a new to him -10. First oil change done at 50 hours gave an oil analysis that was, different. Blackstone mentioned all their historical data for this particular model of engine was based on 30 hours average oil time, so the thought was let's target 30 hours for the next couple of oil changes to have a better chance at comparing something. The plane is headed to Vic's shop week after next for a condition inspection, and needed some oil time to get very near the magic 30 hour mark while in Georgia. I asked if I could rack up some time doing a good deed, and was told "Of course!"

Jumped on Pilots 'N Paws and found a trip that fit the bill: Kitties in NC needed to go to New England. Did some quick coordination via text and launched out Saturday morning. Picked up some lucky cats and headed north. One was a bit noisy so I brought him out of the crate to get a view. Not sure if it helped or not.

Alls well that ends well, the cats got to their new home, and by changing altitudes, I got tailwinds on all three legs!

The folks in New England asked if it was possible to send some crates back south, and with the coming trip to Georgia, I agreed to haul cargo. So now, I know how many crates can fit into a -10 with only the pilot riding along.

Last edited by catmandu : 03-15-2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:15 AM

Saturday was one of those rare days. I wish we had a deice truck.

I drove 65 miles to Rock Springs WY to get gas. Siberia!

It should last me for couple days playing after work

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:46 PM

Gitche Gumee

2006 RV-8A N6677F

1943 Boeing Stearman N19BB

Last edited by tfriendshuh : 03-16-2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:03 PM

Default Siberia

Vlad,
That looks so BRRRR!!! You need to head farther south, man! BTW, do people ask you if you just started flying (because your plane is unpainted). We get that question all the time. Curious what your response is.
Have fun weekend flying, and be sure to button up!!
- Capt Sandy
N174RT, Builder and Pilot Roy Thoma

http://APlaneHeBuilt.tumblr.com

To Strive, To Seek, To Find, and Not to Yield