What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grapevine, Az Fly-In

Capt Sandy

Well Known Member
More Arizona Flying.
Roy recently tapped in to happenings with the Arizona Pilots association. There?s a Fly-In gathering at Grapevine Airport the third Saturday of every month during the ?cool? season. We decided to go check the place out and see what was shak?in. The first part of the video captures the following week - note there are no other planes there, and on the weekend of which I write, there were a couple tents and planes gathered. The runway was fine - maybe even better condition than Ajo (base for the winter).
About 30 planes in all. The fly-in is intended to be a camping trip, but the low night temps dissuaded most, and most - including us - only stayed for lunch.
The airport is REMOTE - no water, no facilities, other than a pot-a-potty, firewood, fire-rings and a few picnic tables. We learned that the runway was abandoned, and the Arizona Pilots Association raised PRIVATE funds to have the runway paved and put in the few amenities that are there.
Most of the planes were certified-type, so the tribe a bit different than our usual RV tribe. Still, all passionate about aviation, and therefore all great folks.
Roy and I returned the following week and camped there... but thats a tale for another time.

i-XTBh2xR-640.mp4

Fair Winds!

I believe Grapevine is on or near Roosevelt lake, correct? This would be a camping trip I would love to take part in and bring along a couple of my boys. We are based just a few miles east of this area, so getting there would be a short trip. Very soon, fishing for Crappie should be hot! Can your video be accessed from your website?

Grapevine

I love that trip! Last time I was there, we did breakfast at Payson, then Grapevine, and on the way out, flew through Canyon Lake! Beautiful, just no good outs in Canyon Lake if the engine quits..

Can't wait to go back with a tent and a fishing pole, probably better bring food as well since my fishing skills are usually lacking.....

IMG_8427-L.jpg

IMG_8436-L.jpg

IMG_8433-L.jpg

I’ve been neglecting my web site, in favor of writing a book (wow, writing a book is SO much work!). I’d be happy to send you a link to the video on smugmug if you send me an email at: LifesBigAdventure at that g-mail thing.

We also went to Payson first - See Roy’s post on this. Great time!! The mountains around Grapevine ARE a bit intimidating - and beautiful.

HEY ALL - We’re outta here soon. Making a trek eastward. How about we plan and RV fly-in for next spring??

Back