What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A $55k RV-9A!?

Earl Findlay

I have placed the first order for my RV-14 (at Oshkosh). I realize it will be a few years before the kit is complete. In the meantime...

Today I came across a 2012 RV-9A at a local airport. It has 200 TT, and also 200 TT on the motor since new. The builder is selling it due to getting a divorce after 42 years of marriage! He plans to move to Thailand so needs to get rid of his property. The airplane is equipped with an IO-320, D-10 EFIS, Vans engine instruments, a KX-155 and GPS Map 396. It has a two axis autopilot as well.

The seller wants $55k for the airplane. To me, this is a steal. I am considering buying it to hold me over while I work on my RV-14 build. Are there some gotchas here that I am missing that may be apparent to you? Is it not correct that $55k for an RV-9A is a steal? Would you just pull the trigger and ask questions later?

Keep your eye on the ball, no, the build

Think this one through, only if you can afford the cost and the TIME. You have the opportunity to focus on the build.

A project and another plane that is a flying opportunity can cut into the project. I know.

Agree with Jeff

I personally know 3 ?builders? that bought flying planes after starting their RVs. All 3 kits sit in the back of their hangar. None touched in 5 years, at least. 2 of them untouched in over 10 years. They?ll never work on them again. They are flyers, NOT builders. Decide which one u are. U?ll save a lot of $$$$

I personally know 3 ?builders? that bought flying planes after starting their RVs. All 3 kits sit in the back of their hangar. None touched in 5 years, at least. 2 of them untouched in over 10 years. They?ll never work on them again. They are flyers, NOT builders. Decide which one u are. U?ll save a lot of $$$$

OTOH I maintained a partnership interest in and flew a 182 while I built my -10. It's a personal thing. But the point is well made - building is a major time commitment.

$55K

On paper sounds like a decent deal. No way could you build that plane for that price. Build quality??? 200 hrs over that many years is not ideal, but wouldn?t be a deal breaker for me after a in depth look see. I?ve been involved with maintaining about a dozen EA/B?s (6 rv?s) and the build quality has been all over the map. Some of them required lots of work to get to a average build quality level. The other posters are correct, it will take some time away from your build.

Don Broussard A&P IA ATP
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Look before you leap

That sounds like a very good price for a RV-9a, it is below replacement cost of the components alone. But I suggest you should buy it because it is the airplane that meets your mission needs, not because it is a good deal. And I would also get it thoroughly checked over to make sure there are no structural or mechanical/technical issues.
If you want to fly something occasionally while building then why not rent?
Alternatively, you are not so far into the RV14 build that you can't change your mind and buy something that's already finished, instead of building.
The RV-9a is a very nice airplane all round, we have one as our club aircraft. The RV-14 is good too, but it's a bigger heavier aerobatic machine, if that's what you need.

It's cheaper and faster to buy an already flying airplane. You can tell if you are meant to build an airplane, when every plane you look at for sale, you think, "I can build one a lot nicer than this one". By the way, it's a lot more fun flying them, than building them! Best of luck.

Last edited:
The last three airplanes I?ve owned, I built, so flying something someone else built is new to me. That being said, I bought a great airplane, built by a very focused and talented builder and have no regrets. My 9 is a great performer. 150+knots is no problem. Leaps off the ground and lands on a dime. It?s just superb. 7-8 gph at cruise. Rides the turbulence very well. Ya never know, you might just like it.

Today I came across a 2012 RV-9A at a local airport. It has 200 TT, and also 200 TT on the motor since new. The builder is selling it due to getting a divorce after 42 years of marriage! He plans to move to Thailand so needs to get rid of his property. The airplane is equipped with an IO-320, D-10 EFIS, Vans engine instruments, a KX-155 and GPS Map 396. It has a two axis autopilot as well.

The seller wants $55k for the airplane. <SNIP> Is it not correct that $55k for an RV-9A is a steal?
I've cut back my hours at work recently so I'll be putting my -9A on the market soon for around $105K AUD / $70K USD, and it's a bit better equipped with a Skyview package. The price for your find, while good, isn't necessarily unusual.

Well folks, I bought the 9A. I?ve put 20 hours on it and love it.

Now I must say, y?all have scared me about the quality of the build. Everything seems fine to me, and the pre buy was good, but from what I?ve read on this site, I?m nearly afraid to fly it any further.

I worry about the what if?s; what if there?s something wrong with it that will cause an inflight fire? Or an engine failure? Or a structural failure?

How does one ?get over? buying a used non-factory airplane? Am I being silly to worry about these remote chances??

Well folks, I bought the 9A. I’ve put 20 hours on it and love it.

Now I must say, y’all have scared me about the quality of the build. Everything seems fine to me, and the pre buy was good, but from what I’ve read on this site, I’m nearly afraid to fly it any further.

I worry about the what if’s; what if there’s something wrong with it that will cause an inflight fire? Or an engine failure? Or a structural failure?

How does one “get over” buying a used non-factory airplane? Am I being silly to worry about these remote chances??

For me it would be a combination of my own inspection and careful inspection by a good mechanic. Structural failures of even marginally built RV's are rare - and good inspection of fuel systems, engine, etc should put to rest any worries about major failure of engine or in-flight fire. There's always risk of course but that's true of any aircraft, and why we train for in-flight emergencies.

Sounds to me like you got a good deal on an airplane that makes you happy!

I worry about the what if?s; what if there?s something wrong with it that will cause an inflight fire? Or an engine failure? Or a structural failure?

What I am about to type has nothing to do with an RV but everything to do with life.

Go ahead and worry about the "what if," but don't forget to worry about "What if absolutely nothing happens and I sit here in fear of nothing all while missing out on something fantastic?"

Does that make you worry too? ;)

Turner has it right - get a thorough inspection by someone qualified. I recommend an AI, as they inspect planes for a living. Also, you inspect it, too, looking for anything that seems improper. Then for the condition inspections, every so often, get someone else to do the inspection, since different people tend to look at different things.

Also, most airplanes that I've owned seem to have something that needs fixing when I first bought them. Maybe it's just me, but if you expect something and it's pristine, that's a whole lot easier than the converse.

In the meantime, fly it. That's a good way to pick up many of the things that might not be right - out of trim, engine controls that don't seem to work smoothly or to their limits, electrical quirks, etc.

Dave

I would definitely buy it. I bought mine for 50 put a lot of money in it to get it to what i wanted but i flew it 550 plus hours and enjoyed the heck out of it, sold it last week and got most of it back. I relize now i should have asked more for it. The 9 in my humble opinion is the best flying plane of the RV series if you dont care about aerobatics and dont need 4 seats ,that aside its probably is the best fyling plane of them all and if its a decent build i dont see how you can go wrong. Go for it , fly and have fun while you perfect your build.

Yes, actually send me the info , if its decent maybe i will buy it ,I'm already sorry i sold mine.

Well folks, I bought the 9A. I?ve put 20 hours on it and love it.

Now I must say, y?all have scared me about the quality of the build. Everything seems fine to me, and the pre buy was good, but from what I?ve read on this site, I?m nearly afraid to fly it any further.

How does one ?get over? buying a used non-factory airplane? Am I being silly to worry about these remote chances??

Take the time to learn as much about it as you can. An inspection by people more experienced is certainly essential, but in the end it's your butt up there, and you will feel more relaxed having seen and understood how things are with your own eyes. There are just a handful of trouble spots that contribute to the majority of engine failures or other incidents.

Become thoroughly familiar with the fuel and vent system, as well as all the engine controls and attachments (mixture, throttle, etc).

Look at each part of the flight controls and linkages, from the sticks and trim control all the way back to their respective surfaces.

Crawl under the panel and get an idea of how the wiring looks. Follow the pathways from the starter, alternator, solenoids, battery, etc and looks for solid connections and grounds.

Take the wheel pants off to inspect the brakes and brake lines visually.

RVs are simple machines, and so are Lycomings. For VFR flying, you need fuel, spark, air, and flight controls. Spark and air are generally pretty reliable (and redundant), but fuel seems to be a more frequent cause of issues. I'd still say us pilots ourselves are the #1 trouble spot though. Make good decisions, don't run out of fuel, and enjoy!

Chris

Back