What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFS EFIS Survival Tips

I know you are using the Avidyne unit as the "demo" unit for teaching purposes. If we simply replace the Avidyne nomenclature with GTN-650, the same procedures should work. Correct?

Right now my plane is in pieces getting painted. Once that is completed (in maybe two weeks) I'll step through your tutorial and see if my unit will "play nice."

In the time from January 2017, and present, there have been NO changes to my system, wiring, etc. except software updates. And, as I've mentioned previously, after the July update, is when the AP simply won't lock-on to a flight plan; whether internal or from the GTN. That's why I've been pointing to the updates throughout my postings.
IF there are no fundamental changes in the software between the sources and the AP, then something has gone goofy with my AP control head.

Mel,

I was where you are about six months ago. I had a failure of the AFS ARINC module and the ARINC receiver card in my Trutrak Vizion. The ARINC diagnostic page in the GTN650 was how I got the data to troubleshoot the issue.

The other possibility is that you may have an open circuit. Perhaps a wire broke at a crimp or chafed due to vibrations?

Does the AP follow the Heading bug on the EFIS?

bob

I know you are using the Avidyne unit as the "demo" unit for teaching purposes. If we simply replace the Avidyne nomenclature with GTN-650, the same procedures should work. Correct?

Right now my plane is in pieces getting painted. Once that is completed (in maybe two weeks) I'll step through your tutorial and see if my unit will "play nice."

In the time from January 2017, and present, there have been NO changes to my system, wiring, etc. except software updates. And, as I've mentioned previously, after the July update, is when the AP simply won't lock-on to a flight plan; whether internal or from the GTN. That's why I've been pointing to the updates throughout my postings.
IF there are no fundamental changes in the software between the sources and the AP, then something has gone goofy with my AP control head.

Mel,

The IFD540 and GTN650 both work basically the same way, I have both units in my RV-10 and we routinely fly GPS LPV approaches with both units.

When you get the plane back together make sure you are running the latest software and if it still does not work give me a call and I will come see what is wrong with it.

http://dynonavionics.com/af-5000-software-updates.php

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

Last edited:
Bob & Rob

Bob - Yes, I can control the AP via the heading bug on the EFIS, or I can use the heading knob on the AP controller.

Its the Flight Plans than don't get processed properly.

Rob - Thanks. We (John Stahr and I) made excellent progress on the painting today. IF all goes as planned, we will be putting clear coat on the wings & fuselage tomorrow.

I'll let you know when its all back together and ready for testing the Flight Plan / AP issue.

Bob - Yes, I can control the AP via the heading bug on the EFIS, or I can use the heading knob on the AP controller.

Its the Flight Plans than don't get processed properly.

That would apply that the ARINC circuit between the EFIS and AP is working as designed.

When you put a flight plan in your 650, does the magenta line appear on your map screen? Does your AP head show it's in GPSS mode?

When you get your 10 back, the ARINC monitor on the 650 diagnostic page, should quickly tell you if there is an open circuit or a hardware issue. (i.e. all the labels have 0's only.) If you have data (i.e. 0's and 1's) the issue is something else.

Magenta Line is There

Bob,
Yes the magenta line is displayed on the EFIS. Any altitude I put in via the ALT bug on the EFIS is commanded. HDG is commanded; the AP just doesn't lock on to the HDG / TRK when I get within 30 degrees or even when I'm dead-on the desired HDG / TRK.
Thus, I've had to do it the old steam gauge method of continuous "windage" adjustments to keep it along the magenta line.

One result is that I've sure had to improve my scanning technique.

I've not done any diagnostics because the system (other than indicated above) does work, so I focused on the only thing that changed - software updates...
Rob Hickman in saying that fundamentally nothing has changed - SO, I don't know what the heck went wrong.

Bob,
Yes the magenta line is displayed on the EFIS. Any altitude I put in via the ALT bug on the EFIS is commanded. HDG is commanded; the AP just doesn't lock on to the HDG / TRK when I get within 30 degrees or even when I'm dead-on the desired HDG / TRK.
Thus, I've had to do it the old steam gauge method of continuous "windage" adjustments to keep it along the magenta line.

One result is that I've sure had to improve my scanning technique.

I've not done any diagnostics because the system (other than indicated above) does work, so I focused on the only thing that changed - software updates...
Rob Hickman in saying that fundamentally nothing has changed - SO, I don't know what the heck went wrong.

This is different that what you stated before in the HDG mode from the EFIS was working. My suspicion is that you have a open circuit or hardware issue on one of the ARINc circuits.

It sounds like none of the ARINC data is making it to the AP.

Run diagnostics on the AFS ARINC module.
Run the ARINC monitor of the GTN650. I'm almost willing to bet that it will be showing all 0's, indicating a problem.
Also you should see the AP in GPSS mode if ARINC is working.

In my case, I had the first ARINC receiver card failure in my AP, much to the vendor's surprise. The GTN650 ARINC monitor gave me the data to prove that was an issue.

There's not much you can do until you get your RV-10 back.

We should probably take the conversation off line. You can reach me email from my VAF ID above this message.

Maybe I wasn't clear

Bob,
Maybe I wasn't clear in what I wrote. The HDG bug on the EFIS (or the AP Control Head) does control the AP. But the HDG / TRK from the Flight Plan does not.

Quite possibly, the little resistor that is in-line between the GTN and ARINC module has broken (physically) or something along those lines. There's really not a lot of wiring between the ARINC and other avionics, so not a lot of wire-chasing to be done. Just contorting one's body to get access...

Indeed, we'll take it offline until I get the plane out of painting. Nothing I can do until then.

There is no resistor between the GTN and AF-ARINC module, you need to do the following:

1. Finish Painting
2. Install current software
3. Have me come look at, you are only 10 minutes away.

We had a similar issue a few years ago, luckily he was also local. On GPS approaches it would fly these very strange paths, never really believed it until I flew with him, sometimes it worked perfect. We ended up swapping the ARINC module, EFIS, Autopilot and it still did it. After literally weeks we found that the GTN330 transponder arinc out lines had been also wired to the GNS430 arinc out lines and they would sometimes fight with each other.

I need to write a book about all the really strange problems we have found over the last 18 years. Magnetic heading errors are the best, I keep a hand held compass in my RV-10 just for trouble shooting customer planes. Last summer I ended up flying to a customer after days of phone tech support and swapped ADAHRS units because of heading errors. As Soon as I put the compass on the ADAHRS I found that it pointed to the large steel wing spar bolt 8" away, after I had been assured multiple times that nothing magnetic was anywhere near it....

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Rob: Turns out I had the OS1 software in my system after all. You were onto it from the first but I'm surprised because ordered the Pre-loaded USB Memory stick---I thought that covered me for this current software at the time I ordered. Loaded OS5 this morning but I have the airplane down for some other stuff at the moment, so I can't test it out. I DO have the CDI button now though, vice the CRS. Hooray!

In the meantime, please accept my personal appreciation for the effort you [and others on VAF] put in to help the rest of us out. I work with Tom Swearengen [TS Flightlines] regularly and like you I'm guessing, he spends a substantial fraction of his time dealing directly with customers and their specific and [often] self-generated problems. He never complains but I don't know how he does it. You guys are a god-send.

Last edited:
The OS version is the actual operating system. The AF-5000 systems have only ever had two versions: OS: 1 is used with the old non touch screen CPU and all touch screen systems have OS: 5

There are some non touch screen systems that have the new CPU and are running OS:5 , anything manufactured in the last 3-4 years.

Wi-Fi support requires the new CPU and OS: 5

The software version is listed in the CHECK > ABOUT > SYS menu:

23821704558_660d07de65_o.jpg

Rob Hickman

Pilot?s Guide

Lots of great advice,but I have a question. Where is the Version 15.0 of the
AF-5000 series pilot guide located.? Version 5 is the version shown on the Dynon-
Advanced website as of today???

AF-5000 series pilot guide located.? Version 5 is the version shown on the Dynon-

Those are the current versions of the documentation. The doc version numbers aren?t synced with software releases.

You have to read the release notes in the upgrades to see what was changed in each software release.

We are currently flight testing the new ver 15 software and should have it released in the next few weeks. We are also releasing a new v15 user manual to go with it.

Rob Hickman

Tech Writing or Development?

Today's technical world is moving so fast that manuals are left way back in the dust compared to software / technological developments.
Small companies (as is AFS, and I imagine Dynon) have to decide what is most critical - technical writing or product development.

I (as a former technical writer [one of my many hats]) understand that quandary. but as a customer also find it frustrating when the manuals don't reflect reality of the current product.

The updated documentation will be very welcome to improve understanding of operational characteristics and possibly the use of the equipment.

Thanks for that less than glamorous work Rob.

Rob: That is exciting news...any hints at what if any, the new features will be?

I have been flying it for a few months and forget what is new and what was in the old V13 software.

New menus and graphics, XM weather for Canada, Holds on the map, support for our new Electronic Circuit breaker module, Wifi Host and Client mode, Stratux Wifi ADSB support, Weather and Traffic to Foreflight.....

And a manual that is up to date.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

Feature request

Howdy Rob,

I don't have an IFR rated navigator - remote nav radio only. I'd like to be able to display my nav radio without giving up my direct to on internal flight plan. Currently I have to choose one or the other.

Thanks,

Ed Holyoke

Howdy Rob,

I don't have an IFR rated navigator - remote nav radio only. I'd like to be able to display my nav radio without giving up my direct to on internal flight plan. Currently I have to choose one or the other.

Thanks,

Ed Holyoke

Have you tried setting the CDI to NAV1 and then setting the Map Source to Internal Flight plan?

I will make sure it works in the new V15 software.

Rob Hickman

Okay! Thanks to you guys, I am getting my system operational pretty fast now. Raymo found the problem (wiring connection) with the 470 and also the VOR on the 530 (ground connection). Had ADSB-out generated traffic for the first time today. Very nice. Still have a couple of questions if anyone feels inclined:

1. How do I get the 5600 to display the VOR course from my 530? I don't have an SL-30; the manual seems to discuss it as the only source for VOR guidance. If I plan a flight using VOR waypoints only, will the 5600 display it in green? If I fly a 530 GPS flight plan with a destination VOR/ILS Approach, will the CDI change color to green? Would it matter if it didn't?

2. I don’t need remote audio control from my 5600; how can I turn off the Audio Panel Status “tab” on the top left of my display? It is currently “X’ed” out but is still taking up space.

3. Sometimes the touchscreen refuses to work and everything must be done by the buttons. What is causing that? I assume I’m causing it inadvertently...

Thanks for all the help from all those who checked in.

Lee...

Last edited:
1. How do I get the 5600 to display the VOR course from my 530? I don't have an SL-30; the manual seems to discuss it as the only source for VOR guidance. If I plan a flight using VOR waypoints only, will the 5600 display it in green? If I fly a 530 GPS flight plan with a destination VOR/ILS Approach, will the CDI change color to green? Would it matter if it didn't?

If you are planning a flight with VOR waypoints on a 530 you are really using GPS. If the EFIS CDI is in AUTO mode you use the VLOC button on the 530 to switch to the NAV side.

2. I don?t need remote audio control from my 5600; how can I turn off the Audio Panel Status ?tab? on the top left of my display? It is currently ?X?ed? out but is still taking up space.

SET > CAL > AUDIO PANEL > Instrument OFF

3. Sometimes the touchscreen refuses to work and everything must be done by the buttons. What is causing that? I assume I?m causing it inadvertently...

There is not a setting for turning off the touch screen, you should email your system logs.

Rob Hickman

UPDATE --- Everything working, as advertised

Lee, thanks for bringing it up, and Rob, thanks for getting me straightened out. My new 5600T coupled with NAV, and coupled with the RNAV 3 (LNAV+V) approach into BKV, today. The "within 30* of heading and within 80% of cross-trak" works great. When entering the flight plan into the 650, it transfer to the 5600T as GNAV1. I bring up the AP screen and engage in heading mode. The NAV and VNAV show "armed". I load and activate the approach in the 650 and the AP engages NAV, takes me to the IAF, onto the approach, and at the FAF starts me down the vertical guidance. By then I have the approach plate on the screen and watch the airplane track the approach. I have the minimums set, and, on reaching, can elect to toggle off the AP, and land, or activate the missed approach.

I still have an awful lot to learn, and it took me several years before I would do anything but "direct to" on my GPS.

It seems magical, but is really a lot of fun!

Ron

Rob: Again, thanks for the info. I am really enjoying the new functionality I'm seeing now. Launched into some "broken" weather today and saw ADSB weather for the first time. In order to get weather to come up [now that my 470 is getting power], the current manual says to select [SET] [WX] [FIS-B], but that is not an option on my system/software. I selected [ADSB] instead and that appears to have done the trick. Very interesting...old hat to the guys who've had this stuff for awhile an interesting new capability to me.

1. Haven't had a chance to try the VOR yet, since I just got it going again yesterday. I know I can fly the VOR system with my 530 but wasn't sure if the introduction of the 5600 would interfere or not. Sounds like it is configured to treat it as a separate nav source.

2. Wow, I looked everywhere for the info on how to turn off the audio panel but no luck. Thanks!

3. The intermittent touch screen really is a mystery; when it won't swipe it won't accomplish any other touch screen functions either [map select, typing functions when I try to insert a Direct To airport, etc]. There is usually no problem in using the buttons but the touch screen is much handier most of the time (rough air permitting]. If I can't figure out what I'm doing to trigger it, I'll send you the logs [as soon as I figure out how to do that!].

RONSIM: You are right, after years of hand flown PAR and ASR approaches in wild weather in the military, this stuff is truly magical. What's not to like?!

Lee...

Weather and Nexrad operational, but Lightning and Winds Aloft don't light up and won't select. Are they not available? The Pilot Guide says they are, at the bottom of page 78 and on page 81.

Last edited:
Weather and Nexrad operational, but Lightning and Winds Aloft don't light up and won't select. Are they not available? The Pilot Guide says they are, at the bottom of page 78 and on page 81.

The ADS-B data does not currently have lightning data. We are working on displaying the Winds aloft data.

The EFIS will display lightning and winds aloft data if you have an XM receiver.

Rob Hickman

Thanks for the quick answer, Rob. I hope I'm asking questions that have troubled other users, since the responses I'm getting are really helpful---I'm hoping others are benefitting too. Two [small] new ones please:

1. I bought the WiFi module for my system to "talk" with my ForeFlight/iPad. The discussion on page 64 of the Pilot's Guide says to set it up in accordance with the info in the "installation section". Unless that refers to para. 1 on page 64 which only says to ensure it's plugged in, I don't find any such instructions. Where do I look? I trolled both the Dynon and AFS sections of the website but no luck there either. The WiFi plug is featured there, but there are no installation or pilot's guide instructions co-located with it like there is for most of the other products listed.

2. Sorry, if this is a real micro-issue: On many of the Approach Plates in the AFS system, one of the IAF points is colored with a yellow dot and others with a green dot. I can't find any description of the difference in or the meaning of these colors anywhere. Sometimes [IIRC] its the IAF and the Missed Approach holding fix. I've been through a couple of dozen "how to read approach plates" tutorials on the web looking for the specific meaning of these colors, but no luck.

Last edited:
1. I bought the WiFi module for my system to "talk" with my ForeFlight/iPad. The discussion on page 64 of the Pilot's Guide says to set it up in accordance with the info in the "installation section". Unless that refers to para. 1 on page 64 which only says to ensure it's plugged in, I don't find any such instructions. Where do I look? I trolled both the Dynon and AFS sections of the website but no luck there either. The WiFi plug is featured there, but there are no installation or pilot's guide instructions co-located with it like there is for most of the other products listed.

advanced-flight-systems.com/docs/AF-5000%20Pilot%20Guide%20Manual%20V15.0%20WiFi.pdf

2. Sorry, if this is a real micro-issue: On many of the Approach Plates in the AFS system, one of the IAF points is colored with a yellow dot and others with a green dot. I can't find any description of the difference in or the meaning of these colors anywhere. Sometimes [IIRC] its the IAF and the Missed Approach holding fix. I've been through a couple of dozen "how to read approach plates" tutorials on the web looking for the specific meaning of these colors, but no luck.

advanced-flight-systems.com/docs/AF-5000%20Pilot%20Guide%20Manual%20V15.0%20APP.pdf

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

Rob: Again, thank you very much. I see that the above pages came from V.15 of the Pilot's Guide---I assume that is the new one you recently referenced. Unless, I am mistaken, we currently only have access to V.5 on the Dynon/AFS website. Explains why finding some of the info requested has been a bit difficult.

Nevertheless, every new thing I learn [or verify] about thats 5000 series system seems to add greatly to its utility and value to me as a pilot. I'm loving this system now!

Lee...

THANKS!

Thanks for the new manual Rob.
The plane is finally entering the last week of paint process. The wings and fuselage are painted and clear coated. Last, is to get the VS & Rudder finished and then reassemble the bird.

After all that, I'll get on the updates of software and charts. Then get in contact with you to see if we can figure out why my system doesn't perform the way you say it should.

Thanks again for all that great customer support.

Can't do both at the same time

Howdy Rob,

I tried that. It is one or the other in Ver 13. When I set CDI to Nav 1 and map source to intfp it displays the green HSI needle just fine. If I do a direct to, the efis sets the CDI to intfp and the green needle goes away. Likewise, if I have a direct to in the intfp and set the CDI to Nav 1, the waypoint info goes away.

What I'm trying to do is use the Nav 2KR as if it were a panel mount VOR receiver for navigation and legality while I also maintain awareness via GPS. Let's say I'm flying a VOR-A to my home field or an ILS to another airport. It would sure be nice to have the distance and brg to my destination along with ETE while I am doing the actual navigation via the VOR. I'd be content with or without a magenta course line and no magenta needle if the green needle still works. Ideally I'd be able to choose which source to drive the autopilot, but it doesn't matter much and I always have the heading bug.

Thanks,

Ed Holyoke

Have you tried setting the CDI to NAV1 and then setting the Map Source to Internal Flight plan?

I will make sure it works in the new V15 software.

Rob Hickman

Rob: Just got my iPad/Foreflight and 5600 linked up. I had older Foreflight system software in the iPad and it wouldn't wifi link with the 5600. Just successfully uploaded a complex flight plan to the 5600---sweet!

In the meantime, sorry if I've forgotten whether this has been asked and answered already or not, but I'm wondering about downloading ADSB wx and traffic to the excellent iPad/Foreflight display. I understand that the MGL system does this and was wondering if such a capability is coming for the AFS?

Rob: Just got my iPad/Foreflight and 5600 linked up. I had older Foreflight system software in the iPad and it wouldn't wifi link with the 5600. Just successfully uploaded a complex flight plan to the 5600---sweet!

In the meantime, sorry if I've forgotten whether this has been asked and answered already or not, but I'm wondering about downloading ADSB wx and traffic to the excellent iPad/Foreflight display. I understand that the MGL system does this and was wondering if such a capability is coming for the AFS?

The V15 software will do it, beta release in the next few weeks.

Rob Hickman

Very cool, can't wait to see it in action. I have a hangar mate who has basically a well equipped, VFR RV-8. He flies with a MGL EFIS and routinely uploads "planned the night before" flight plans into the MGL before launch. He then downloads MGL/system ADSB data to his iPad while airborne as he says the iPad display is much sharper. He's designed his cockpit specifically to easily accommodate his iPad. Unfortunately, I don't have enough room in mine as it currently stands, to have room for an iPad except on a kneeboard.

Regardless, once the 5000 series has this capability, I expect it will be a very popular feature. Thanks for the effort.

Lee...

I'm setting up a Garmin G5 as a standby/backup. I have it talking to an AFS5500 I'm fitting. The Garmin confirms it is getting a valid input from the AFS. The AFS confirms it is getting a valid GPS signal on the serial port.

BUT my map shows me at the north pole. I've checked outside, no snow and plenty of land. So I'm fairly sure there is something wrong. :)

I tried connecting another GPS and got the same result. I guess there is a setting or something I'm missing. Has anyone got an idea of whats wrong. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Tom

I'm setting up a Garmin G5 as a standby/backup. I have it talking to an AFS5500 I'm fitting. The Garmin confirms it is getting a valid input from the AFS. The AFS confirms it is getting a valid GPS signal on the serial port.

BUT my map shows me at the north pole. I've checked outside, no snow and plenty of land. So I'm fairly sure there is something wrong. :)

I tried connecting another GPS and got the same result. I guess there is a setting or something I'm missing. Has anyone got an idea of whats wrong. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Tom

The obvious question does your gps have a view of the sky. It sounds like your don?t have gps satellite sync, usually from being in a hangar.

@ironflight. Thanks for the idea. The G5 clearly shows it has a 3D fix, and the AFS5500 confirms the gps data is valid. I also tried an aera660 that got a fix in the hanger, and displayed it on its own map. I got the same result on the AFS when I connected the 660 as a test. I’ve checked all the wires are connected and in the right place.

I notice the old AFS3500, now efis2, has a setting where to get the lat/long from. But I don’t see anything similar in the new screen.

Incidentally the G5 can’t get a fix in the hanger with its internal aerial. But using an external aerial locks on very quickly. Maybe that’s a reason to use an external aerial all the time, just in case.

Last edited:
Calibrate the ADAHRS!

Sorry I've not updated my situation since finishing the paint job.
After some off-line communication with Rob and some "investigating" I decided to re-calibrate the Dynon ADAHRS.
After completing that simple little task I took the plane up for a few test runs.
WALLAH! Everything is working just as it used to!

Using Rob's technique for creating the Flt Plan in the GTN-650, selecting GNAV-1 as the source (on the EFIS), setting the Altitude on the EFIS; launch, clear the pattern and engage the Autopilot - the bird flies beautifully to whatever the flight plan commands.

So, though the issue reared its ugly head after a software update, it was the ADAHRS that was causing the issue. [Will keep that one in the memory banks for future reference.]

AFS 5600T wifi

I recently discovered that the WiFi module plugged into one of the two USB connections on the back of the EFIS will broadcast weather and traffic via WiFi to the WingX app on either an IPad or IPhone. It does not transmit ADHARS data but the ADSB-IN works great. The WingX (Hilton Software) website does not show this as a compatible configuration but it does work, see below!

On another note, I have a GTN 650 wired into my EFIS via the Dynon Airinc. I recently flew my first LNAV/VNAV approach by loading a flight plan into the 650, selecting an approach and activating it. Prior to actually activating the approach I put the missed approach altitude in the altitude window of the EFIS and the autopilot flew a perfect approach and leveled off at the missed approach altitude. I was so excited that I forgot how to execute the missed approach on the autopilot. I turned everything off and just entered the pattern to land. I know the autopilot will do the missed approach and since I have the Dynon Airinc, the missed approach hold will show on the EFIS, just haven’t figured it all out yet.

http://4f8xg62b7oun2nfngh2orrzz.wpe...ent/uploads/2019/08/HardwareCompatibility.pdf

Last edited:
Just finished my second flight in 130YD. A settings question arose that I promised myself I'd ask when I got the chance:

Is there a way to stop "bitchin' Betty" from yelling at me about approaching terrain in the pattern?

"I _know_ there's terrain down there, woman - I'm doing my best to make contact with it!" :D

Update: I'm guessing but will confirm that the setting I need is in the Syn Vis menu, under TAWS airspeed shutoff - voice prompts and yellow/red terrain shading are probably fed from the same software subroutine. Edit: but maybe not, since I have an airspeed (100KIAS) already selected for disabling the TAWS terrain coloring and it didn't make a difference in the voice callouts as far as I recall.

One more question - has anyone posted a more non-engineer-friendly description of the AoA calibration process than what's in the AF-5000 Series Pilot Guide on page 35? Checklist items like "0OL, 0AA and 1SA" don't really do it for me while trying to fly this procedure in my armchair before doing it in the plane.

Update: the warnings are coming from my Avidyne, which I need to learn how to turn off until I'm ready to start instrument training. Wonderful training for ignoring insistent distractions in the cockpit, but it'll be nice to have it sterile.

The questions I had about AoA calibration are addressed in v.16 of the AF 5000 Pilot Guide, which must have come out just after I had v.15 printed and bound. Another $90 to Staples is in my future :)

Last edited:
AF-5000 with Avidyne IFD ILS Video

We just posted a new video from our RV-10 showing how to fly an ILS using an Advanced AF-5600 EFIS and Avidyne IFD550.

https://youtu.be/nOqXPYcfrBs

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10
Advanced Flight Systems

We just posted a new video from our RV-10 showing how to fly an ILS using an Advanced AF-5600 EFIS and Avidyne IFD550.

https://youtu.be/nOqXPYcfrBs

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10
Advanced Flight Systems

A thing of beauty :D - and I haven't yet had my first instrument lesson.

I hope you feel the pride of accomplishment in what you've helped create, there, Rob. Simply amazing!

Trying something on a weekend...

that should probably only be attempted when the help desk is manned.

My first download of data from Seattle Avionics and an upgrade of the AFS-5000 software. I am very out of my element doing anything on a laptop without an apple logo on the lid. This could get ugly fast :p

So far I've purchased the data subscription, and downloaded the data loader. I've managed a D/L of the data I'm interested in and it's currently writing said data to the first of my three thumb drives (3-screen AFS-5000 panel). This process, while fairly smooth, has already taken me off the nice color map that AFS provides on the website and in the Pilot Guide, following prompts from the Seattle page. It's working as far as I can tell, but I get nervous when the map I'm holding in hand doesn't jive with the prompts I'm seeing on the screen.

Once the approach plates and sectionals, high and low IFR charts are transferred to the first flash drive of the three, I will have to decide whether to eject the drive and load that same Seattle data onto the other two, or leave the original drive in and do "Step 3" - Install the new V16 software from Advanced Flight.

I'm currently running a version called X16.6.6-B11-MV16 (Dec 7 2020). This is some kind of beta IIRC that I got from AFS when I was troubleshooting my remote Trig com radio, one of the first installs of that hardware in the field.

Anyone have an opinion? Should I download chart data x each of the 3 drives in turn, and then go back and download the latest AFS v16 software on them, or load each drive with chart data and EFIS software before moving on to the next drive?

that should probably only be attempted when the help desk is manned.

My first download of data from Seattle Avionics and an upgrade of the AFS-5000 software. I am very out of my element doing anything on a laptop without an apple logo on the lid. This could get ugly fast :p

So far I've purchased the data subscription, and downloaded the data loader. I've managed a D/L of the data I'm interested in and it's currently writing said data to the first of my three thumb drives (3-screen AFS-5000 panel). This process, while fairly smooth, has already taken me off the nice color map that AFS provides on the website and in the Pilot Guide, following prompts from the Seattle page. It's working as far as I can tell, but I get nervous when the map I'm holding in hand doesn't jive with the prompts I'm seeing on the screen.

Once the approach plates and sectionals, high and low IFR charts are transferred to the first flash drive of the three, I will have to decide whether to eject the drive and load that same Seattle data onto the other two, or leave the original drive in and do "Step 3" - Install the new V16 software from Advanced Flight.

I'm currently running a version called X16.6.6-B11-MV16 (Dec 7 2020). This is some kind of beta IIRC that I got from AFS when I was troubleshooting my remote Trig com radio, one of the first installs of that hardware in the field.

Anyone have an opinion? Should I download chart data x each of the 3 drives in turn, and then go back and download the latest AFS v16 software on them, or load each drive with chart data and EFIS software before moving on to the next drive?

There is a version that is much newer and is the current v16 release on the AFS website.

Do you have the v16 version of Data Manager too?

If you use ForeFlight of FlyQ, you can update all your screens from you tablet. You need the current release of both the AFS software and the Seattle Data Manager software. (Get from AFS, not the Seattle web site). Otherwise you have to update the flash drives for each of your screens. Plates, charts, etc reside of the flash drive and not on the EFIS.

Thanks for the reply, Bob. I'm using the latest Seattle data manager. (I've never used an earlier version so there was nothing to delete first). The AFS directions didn't mention getting the data manager from anywhere but from Seattle, as far as I saw.

I did the click and drag method on the laptop to install the latest AFS software onto the thumb drive but now when I try to eject the drive it says:

AFS_DATA (D:) is currently in use. Save any open files on this disc, and then close the files or programs using the files before trying again. If you choose to continue, the files will be closed, which might cause data to be lost. CANCEL/TRY AGAIN/CONTINUE

I'm kinda stuck now. Do I roll the dice on "CONTINUE"?

Actually, TRY AGAIN seems to have unfrozen things. I guess I'll find out what worked and what didn't when I plug these drives into my screens tomorrow. The first two thumb drives seemed to load in a straightforward fashion, although they took perhaps 30min each. The third one kept throwing errors on the sectional and IFR chart scans and stopping prematurely. I finally ejected the drive and started over, and it did ok. Will learn the results of all this when I plug the drives in and update the screens.

Last edited:
Update

Successful install of new software and mapping data from Seattle. Victory! :D

One thumb drive didn't load the HI RES TERRAIN or the IFR HI data successfully, but I made some adjustments that bypass this as an issue until the next chart cycle when I get a new chance to download everything successfully.

Don't Download

any data you aren't going to use. For example: if you do not intend to fly in the flight levels there is no need to download the IFR HI data. It will simply take up space on the card for no useful gain. Also, if you are not going to fly three states away, don't download any state(s) but those you intend to fly over in the next month or so.
Once you have the states selected, and IFR LO (assuming you are IFR certified) you can leave the settings alone for the foreseeable future.
Download the Lo-Res and Hi-Res data from AFS website, load it to the thumb drives and leave it there throughout the year. Each year - maybe during annual or at New Years - check AFS website to see if there's new data you need to download.
After two or three iterations of data updating, you'll be "expert" and ready to teach others...

The updating process with Seattle Avionics using their data manager is pretty seamless IME. I just plug in the previous thumb drive and click "update" and it takes care of the rest. I download the maps for the entire US, as well as IFR low. I probably won't need some of those states of maps, but...oh well...it only takes a few extra minutes and all that extra data cost nothing in money or performance. Generally, I put the thumb drive in my 5400 before turning it on, and turning it on brings up a dialog asking me if I want to update the maps. Takes less than a minute.

any data you aren't going to use. For example: if you do not intend to fly in the flight levels there is no need to download the IFR HI data. It will simply take up space on the card for no useful gain. Also, if you are not going to fly three states away, don't download any state(s) but those you intend to fly over in the next month or so.
Once you have the states selected, and IFR LO (assuming you are IFR certified) you can leave the settings alone for the foreseeable future.
Download the Lo-Res and Hi-Res data from AFS website, load it to the thumb drives and leave it there throughout the year. Each year - maybe during annual or at New Years - check AFS website to see if there's new data you need to download.
After two or three iterations of data updating, you'll be "expert" and ready to teach others...

I'm sure you're right.

Great point about the IFR HI. As a not-yet-started instrument student, I didn't realize the irrelevance of that data set to the flying I do or will do.

AFS 5500 Touchscreen AOA volume

My AOA is calibrated and working well. I have the EFIS master volume set so I can hear the alerts in the background but not too loud, just right. When I set up the AOA I ended up increasing the AOA volume to 100% to be able to hear it. I would like the AOA volume to be louder and independent of the EFIS master volume. The AOA volume is barely loud enough to hear it on final approach but if I increase the EFIS master volume to be able to hear the AOA better then the master alerts are much too loud.

I have contacted AFS and all they said was that they are aware of this on several RVs but have yet to offer a solution. Any ideas or do I have to wait for some kind of software update?

Back