What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7-a Supertrack Canopy slider block catches on fusleage lap joint

paulseli

I'm New Here
Just got my SuperTrack canopy slider extension installed on my RV-7A and its all good, except, the canopy slider block is catching on a lap joint on the fuselage.

Anyone had this issue and how was it resolved?

what comes to mind:

1) trim the bottom of the canopy slider block so it misses the joint. concern about weakening the canopy block?
2) bond a plastic shim to the bottom of the canopy slider block where it rides on the T-rail--this would force the bottom to clear the skin. not sure of best way to bond plastic to uhmw..
3) it may be that the builder (not me) actually ground the top of the T-rail slot to make the canopy sit lower and thus, replace the block with a new one?

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 196
Replace block

It may just be normal wear and tear on the old block that is making it sit lower, that is what happened on our 9A. I don't think it would be effective to permanently bond a shim to UHMW, but for test purposes a piece of tape would prove if a new block will solve the problem,. At $11.40 for a new block, plus the effort to drill the hole, I think that's what I would do.

Or unscrew the track and install the missing rivet; thus pulling the skin down.
If that doesn't do it, just chamfer the leading edge of the slider.
Good Luck.

Back