What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV4 rear controls

options

There are a simple set of rear pedals from Flyboy Accessories that bolt to the floor and tie into the existing rudder cables. They lay flat when not in use. I would recommend having the rear foot wells if you don't already. The throttle can simply be connected with a rod run through the spar carry-through frame with a push pull knob or added quadrant. Keep it simple, and obviously rear brakes are near impossible to install.

I installed the throttle exactly as above.
I also added a rear flap switch below the throttle.
Rudder pedals are of my own design: “c” shaped weldments of 1/2 in CrMo. tubing. They are secured by UHMW bearing blocks. The floor was reinforced by angle stiffeners underneath.
The pedals have a cable that is swaged to the main rudder cable.
The Flyboy’s solution looks simple and functional. I’m a loyal customer of theirs but went with my own design because their pedals were on back order at the time.
Good luck!

Might not be impossible

snipped
obviously rear brakes are near impossible to install.

Actually, Bruce Bohannon has them in the Exxon Tiger, a highly modified RV 4. Ray Parker did an excellent job putting them into an 8A. I've got photos if you are interested. Drop me a PM with your email address.

Charlie

Last edited:
Actually, Bruce Bohannon has them in the Exxon Tiger, a highly modified RV 4. Ray Parker did an excellent job putting them into an 8A. I've got photos if you are interested. Drop me a PM with your email address.

Charlie

Close. Bruce has full back seat controls in his -8. The Tiger is only a single seat.

Back