What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leleand Snow passes

pierre smith

Well Known Member
Apparently, the 81 year old Snow was doing his usual morning jog and fell dead, yesterday.

One of the truly great homebuilders who founded Air Tractor and also designed the original Thrush aircraft.

Regards,

One of the truly great homebuilders who founded Air Tractor and also designed the original Thrush aircraft.

Regards,

That is a lot to accomplish in a life time. Air Tractor is an amazing work horse of the AG industry, that also doubles as range / forest fire suppression equipment.

Last edited:
Leland was an incredibly talented aviator, visionary, and businessman. He largely created the "Ag" plane as it is now commonly configured. His designs greatly increased the safety and functionality of the ag aviation business.

The Snow family also lost a son-in-law this past year, in an airplane accident. Our thoughts and prayers to the family and the folks at Air Tractor. Many of whom are active in the RV world as well.

Prayers to the Snow family. I can thank my life to the safety designed into the AT-401, I screwed one into the ground when I was 20 years old and should not be here.

My family thanks you LeLand Snow!

Leland Snow:

1. was a tireless, focused, efficient, producer of work - He worked 7 days a week, 365 days a year, and had something to show for every minute he spent working. He expected the same of his employees.
2. was a friendly, easy-going, quiet mannered, fair, reasonable boss - an $8 per hour parts washer or a Vice President were equally welcome to walk into his office and sit down to discuss work or life outside of work. He was never too busy to give any customer or employee his undivided attention, any time of day, for any reason. I never saw him lose his cool or raise his voice in the 10 years I knew him.
3. understood "Customer First" - He would bend over backward, and was comfortable losing money making a customer happy, if necessary. The bottom line never came at the expense of giving the customer what they wanted and expected. He lost very few customers to his competitors.
4. became a very successful and fairly wealthy businessman - but he wore blue jeans to work, drove a used high-milage car, donated money to causes he belived in, sponsored the local symphony and local art, and didn't live an extravagant lifestyle. He paid his employees every Thursday, without ever missing a Thursday.
5. turned his company over to his employees several years ago, to ensure that Air Tractor would remain in Olney, TX, and would be run by folks who care about its operation. He might have made more money selling it to a bunch of investors on Wall St., but I guarantee he never even considered that.
6. had an idea for a better ag plane in the early 1950s, and then proceeded to build an entire industry around that idea. He realized that there was a need for a quality-built, safe, productive, and well-supported ag airplane. Then he saw a million ways to improve it, expand it, and make it do jobs nobody ever even thought about.
7. rode his motorcycle into town as a college kid with an idea for an airplane company, and simply needed somebody to take a chance on him by helping him get started. Olney, TX took that chance, and he paid them back a thousand times over.
8. just had a knack for designing airplanes. His gut feeling proved to be correct way more often than not.

Everybody at Air Tractor knew this day would come, but nobody wanted it to come yesterday. Leland Snow left some big shoes to fill, but left us quite prepared to fill them. He will be missed by his family, his employees, the local community, and the ag community.

Blue Skies LS!

CDE

Thanks Mike....

..I learned yesterday that the funeral service will be on Saturday at the Air Tractor factory and several of us want to fly in.

If this is true, can you give us details to include the arrival time to be there and also time of the service.

Thanks,

Met Mr. Snow one day, nice man

One day while working at the FBO (Dillon Flying Service) in Dillon MT I had a Air Tractor land to fuel. An older gentle man got out, strectched his legs and came in to order some fuel, didn't know it then but it was Leland. I fueled his plane and chatted about elk hunting, fishing etc. Learned that a hopper is a great place for your luggage when traveling. Very pleasant guy to talk to, later mentioned to my boss about it and he filled me in on who Leland Snow really was.

Jerry Turner
RV-9A, Wiring
Stevensville, MT

Pierre and others:

A Memorial is planned for Saturday at 2pm, at the plant. We have no idea how many are coming, but I'd be willing to bet there are 1000 people and 75 airplanes. A flyover/missing man formation representing all Air Tractor models is planned to honor Leland. There will be enough Texas BBQ to feed everyone, because Leland was a big fan of feeding everyone all the BBQ they could eat!

You guys are welcome to come help us honor him. Be aware that the airport will be busy. Check NOTAMS for a closed runway (for airplane parking). I will post a reply to this thread later in the week when further details are hammered out. Overnight guests may stay in Wichita Falls or Graham. Several hotels offer us an "Air Tractor rate".....check the Hawthorne Suites or the Fairfield first in Wichita Falls, or the Holiday Inn in Graham. There will be plenty of rides into either town for anyone who flies in.

Email contacts for more information: [email protected] or [email protected]

Mike

Update

A long time customer called today and said "I'm putting together the biggest gaggle of Air Tractors that have ever been in the air at one time, and we're coming to Olney Saturday...." We don't really know what that means, and we have no idea what to expect.

If you fly in on Saturday, I recommend the following:
1. Be careful, be patient, and pay attention.
2. Plan to park in the grass alongside runway 22 if possible, and on the pavement (runway will be closed) if necessary. Look for a van or golf cart to give you a ride to the plant.
3. Bring chocks and tie-downs if you need them. Bring bottled water and dress cool....it will be 80 degrees Saturday.
4. Fly in with enough fuel to fly out. Fuel (both types) is available here, but who knows how long it will last, and who knows how many airplanes will be in line in front of you waiting for fuel when you're ready to leave.
5. Watch out for others, both in the pattern and on the ground. We'll try to have plenty of man-power to point you in the direction of parking. We'll be listening on the unicom freq. if you have any questions or need direction.

Mike R

Back