What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stripped Brake Reservoir

crabandy

Well Known Member
My Brake Reservoir's fill cap was screwed down too tight from the factory and most of the threads stripped out when removing it for the first time. Vans said since I've had the kit for over a year the best they could do was free shipping.
Since a new VA-107 is $39,I ran a tap down the reservoir and die on the plug to try and clean the threads up, it works half-a@#. I'm worried if I don't fix it correctly now I'm gonna regret it later.
I'm debating on buying the next size up tap (1/4-18 NPT) and putting in a regular npt plumbing reducer and reuse the standard vented cap, or buy a new one. Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Andy

Don't do anything yet...if I still have my old reservoir (unused...I used a different one that is made of clear acrylic) I'll send it to you free (minus the vent).

Give me an hour or so to look around and see if I have it.

Steve

ETA: You're in luck! I found it right off...PM me your address and I'll ship it out this week. How quickly do you need it?

Last edited:
Clear reservoir?

Don't do anything yet...if I still have my old reservoir (unused...I used a different one that is made of clear acrylic) I'll send it to you free (minus the vent).

Steve: Can you tell me about the clear acrylic reservoir? Source? I like the idea. Mike

tap and die size ?

Sorry for reviving this but I can't see anywhere that the thread size is actually stated clearly.
Like a number of other my VA-107 (about 2 years old) was difficult to take the cap off and threading it back on impossible so I'd like to chase both with a tap and die, or do my best to make it worse in the attempt.

Anyone know the correct thread size.
Thanks for any guidance.

brake fluid can

both holes on brake reservoir, top where vent screws in and bottom where supply out are 1/8 inch pipe thread or 1/8 NPT.

The same size goes with fuel quick drains under the wing and gascolator. A good idea is to carry a 1/8 plug (not breathable) in your emergency kit. In case you get a fodder in a O-ring and need to fix it without fully draining the tanks.

yup

both holes on brake reservoir, top where vent screws in and bottom where supply out are 1/8 inch pipe thread or 1/8 NPT.

Ok then I clearly have to plead ignorance and thank you for responding patiently. NPT, so it's the inner diameter of a cast pipe. It got very clear when I grabbed the tap and die kit looking for some tiny 1/8" tools and found the 1/8NPT.

Cheers

Back