What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Baffle Kit?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
IO-375 in an RV-8. Not sure if this should be in the -8 Forum or the Engine Forum. As far as I can tell, the Aero Sport Power IO-375 EXTERNALLY is an IO-360, so the IO-360 Baffle kit for an RV-8 should work, but now I see people using the RV-14 IO-360 Baffle Kit on RV-8's

Can someone 'splain this to me? Also, since it's on the lower part of the engine, I'm assuming the intake configuration (Superior Cold Air Sump in my case) doesn't matter.

IO-375 in an RV-8. Not sure if this should be in the -8 Forum or the Engine Forum. As far as I can tell, the Aero Sport Power IO-375 EXTERNALLY is an IO-360, so the IO-360 Baffle kit for an RV-8 should work, but now I see people using the RV-14 IO-360 Baffle Kit on RV-8's

Can someone 'splain this to me? Also, since it's on the lower part of the engine, I'm assuming the intake configuration (Superior Cold Air Sump in my case) doesn't matter.

Differences are the type of cylinder used. One for parallel valve one for angle valve. Which do you have?

https://store.vansaircraft.com/io-360-engine-baffle-kit-baf-8-io360.html

Last edited:

If the engine (IO-375) is a Parallel Valve engine, you should order the BAF-360 kit. If it is an Angle Valve engine, you should order the BAF-8-IO360 kit.

There are essentially two types of IO-360 with a multitude of different accessories, cranks, etc.; the A,C,D, and J variants (Angle Valve Heads, 200HP, 8.7:1 pistons) and the B,E,F,M (Parallel Valve Heads, 180HP, 8.5:1 pistons)

Last edited:
The 375 is the same externally as a 360 parallel valve and should use the BAF-360 kit as a starting point. If you bought the taper fin cylinders, you'll have to make your own cylinder baffles though.

http://www.prettybits.com/files/Tapered_Cylinder_Baffle_Extensions_Continental-ECi.pdf

EDIT: Referenced the wrong kit. The BAF-360 should be used for parallel valve 360's (including the 375). The BAF-8-IO360 is for angle valve engines.

Last edited:
Yes, externally my IO-375 may as well be an IO-360 and the 360 baffle kit for RV8's seems obvious. I was just curious why some seem to be buying the RV-14 IO-360 baffle kit.

Can anyone clarify which baffle kit I need for an O-360 Angle Valve?

Thanks

https://store.vansaircraft.com/io-360-engine-baffle-kit-baf-8-io360.html

I stand corrected on my previous post (seems to happen more and more now).

The O-360/IO-360/IO-375 parallel valve motors should order the O-360 baffle kit. The angle valve engines should order the IO-360 baffle kit. It looks like the difference between the 14 kit and the 8 kit is that the 8 requires you buy a separate intake/filter assembly and the 14 kit comes with that included. The 14 kit is pre-punched, so maybe people are buying that trying to save some fabrication time, but it also states its for use specifically on the 14 with an angle valve motor.

Last edited:
It's about the FAB?

Since the parallel valve and angle valve engines have different configurations, the baffle kits need to be different to plug different holes. That makes sense. It now seems that the -8 Baffle Kit is just that: the baffle, while the -14 kit is baffle PLUS the Filtered Air Box. About a $500 price difference.

Ok, is the FAB included with the -14 Baffle kit available independently? I'm guessing so. Is the FAB one of those components with few options, so everyone basically uses the same one, or is it one of those components with many variables and many sources where I should be looking at all the options?

I'm building a fairly standard -8 with an IO-375 M1S from Aero Sport Power, so it's a standard IO-360 on the outside. Superior Cold Sump. Also, a Showplanes Cowl. Any reason to look beyond the standard Van's FAB?

Need IO-375 advice

Update:
Just spoke to Van's this morning. Apparently, given an engine that is externally an IO-360, even though internally an IO-375, I should just use the standard -8 baffle kit intended for IO-360 installations. Fair enough.

Now the question is about the FAB. I have a Superior Cold Sump and a Showplanes Cowl. Van's thought there might be a connection challenge based on the shape of the flange on the fuel servo. He thought that the RV-14 Snorkel, which is intended for the -119 Thunderbolt engine might work better for an IO-375.

Any IO-375 guys out there with wisdom on this?

Back