What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X - "EXCHANGE"

SteinAir

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

For those of you looking to either sell your current G3X screens and upgrade to the new touchscreen, or for those of you looking to purchase some either "new or almost new" screens to assemble a G3X kit, we have come up with a solution.

We have worked with Garmin to come up with an "LRU kit" at an affordable price that will allow you to procure some of these lower priced screens and put together an attractively priced G3X system with the GDU 370's and GDU 375's.

To that end, we'll try to keep this thread open for some period of time, and use this thread as a centralized point for those looking to sell components, and those looking to purchase these components along with the new "LRU package" to make yourself a nice G3X system. This new Garmin package would consist of an ADAHRS, a EIS box, and a GMU (needed components to complete a G3X package).

To be fair, I don't intend this to be limited just to us - I haven't spoken with or to Aerotronics, PCA, or Avionics Systems, but I'm fairly certain they might also be participating in this program (probably some other dealers as well, but I think the aforementioned dealers cover the large majority of G3X systems sold).

This should allow you to use one of us as somewhat of a "escrow agent" to help you either buy or sell your components (we can process credit cards for you, help with shipping, logistics, and pairing up buyers with sellers). Or course we can also sell you the new LRU package or your new G3X touch screen!

I don't have the final numbers figured out just yet on the forthcoming Garmin LRU package, but it should be priced at a point that will allow you to buy it then couple it with some purchased screens to end up with a complete system at a very good price. It might allow some of you to get into a system that you otherwise may not have considered.

If you are a person looking to sell your current 370/375 screens please post them as for sale, and if you are a person interested in buying and assembling a package, please post as "wanted to buy". We or another shop can then assist in completing the transaction for both folks.

Cheers,
Stein

LRU Kit

I have a GDU-375 display and would be interested in looking at an LRU kit - but without the EIS module. Is that one of the possible configurations?

I'm VERY interested in this idea, I was hoping something like this might come up.

My '93 vintage RV-6 could use an upgrade, but funds are short and I just can't justify it. This could change that balance!

3GX touch

can someone post the dimensions of the new touch, im trying to see if i pull my two non touch the new guy will fill the hole?

The exact dims are in the newly posted install manual.

They are almost the same height but the touch is near an inch narrower than 2 GDU 37X screens side by side.

Looking to sell two GDU 370's

Stein,

Let me know if this is the right place to post my 370's for sale and participation in the Garmin program to acquire the touchscreen. These units are new in box, with all the plastic still on and just recently purchased from Stein. Removed from box only for sizing and then put away.

Let me know if any other details are needed for participation.

Richard Rivera
RV7A

Looking for a 370

When SteinAir built my panel, I could only afford two screens but the panel was built to accommodate three so I'm looking for a competitively priced GDU 370 to go in the third spot. Thanks for coordinating this, Stein.

Any update on the price of the LRU kit? Like Dan Langhout, I would be interested in a kit without the EIS. I didn't see the GTP 59 air temp probe mentioned in the items included in the kit, but I'm assuming it would be needed as well?

Oh lord....

Stein...you really are a crack dealer. I'm not going do it though. Nope. Not gonna happen. No sir.

Yet..

Hi All,

I am also putting together a spreadsheet of sorts here at work so we can track these. I know a good number of folks who will be selling their GDU37X screens, and a few folks who are looking to buy....once I get the numbers and final details from Garmin this week on the new LRU kit we should be ready to start making deals happen for folks!

Cheers,
Stein

GDU 370 & 375

I'm interested but need to understand the "details" before jumping into the "touch" world. Might have a GDU 370 and 375 available.

We finally are ready to get this in motion. Please contact me next week if I haven't gotten hold of you to either buy or sell units...big screen or small!

Sorry for the delay, the logistics are a bit challenging on this, but if you bear with me I think we can help lots of folks out.

Cheers,
Stein

Any chance you could define your TLAs? I know an EIS is an Environmental Impact Statement... ;) WTF is an LRU and a GMU?

I would love to know the cost of turning a 370/375 into a more useful device, as I'm considering buying a plane that desperately needs a panel upgrade. Any advice as to where I can see what the possibilities/costs are? Garmin's site is of no help...

Thx
SK

Any chance you could define your TLAs? I know an EIS is an Environmental Impact Statement... ;) WTF is an LRU and a GMU?

I would love to know the cost of turning a 370/375 into a more useful device, as I'm considering buying a plane that desperately needs a panel upgrade. Any advice as to where I can see what the possibilities/costs are? Garmin's site is of no help...

Thx
SK

I put together a quick youtube vid for this very reason. You can see it here:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ona3vAxGcz4

Regarding price, it looks like the LRU package will be around $2k. Still working on the exact pennies, but that's pretty close. We're just starting to put these deals together.....been slower than hoped for, but in the end it should be a good deal for both buyers and sellers.

Cheers,
Stein

Good video - thanks.

Not sure what your reference here to a $2k LRU is... I get the impression that LRU can refer to anything that is "hot swappable" to use your computer analogy. "Unit" covers a lot of ground... In the video, I think the LRU you referred to was a transponder. I get the impression that you are not referring to a transponder here.

ITIWBETUIYAA

Good video - thanks.

Not sure what your reference here to a $2k LRU is... I get the impression that LRU can refer to anything that is "hot swappable" to use your computer analogy. "Unit" covers a lot of ground... In the video, I think the LRU you referred to was a transponder. I get the impression that you are not referring to a transponder here.

ITIWBETUIYAA

Technically, an LRU isn't necessarily a specific unit, but one that can be swapped/replaced without needing to be completely reconfigured or reloading data from an external device (since some companies store configuration data independent of a specific box, thereby allowing boxes to be swapped similar to a RAID array). In this case, it refers to Garmin specific units including a package of multiple boxes. I'll try to get a complete list tomorrow.

As an aside, other companies will loosely use the term LRU to mean a remote mount box (as they've picked up the lingo in this business), but in many cases thay are not truly a LRU.

Feel free to contact me offline if you'd like more specific info.

Cheers,
Stein

LRU?? what components? GTR20 co$t?

After watching the video, I'm still not clear on what the LRU will consist of.

But I am also wondering what the pricing of the GTR 20 remote mount comm radio will be. Being that it does not have a display, I would imagine it would be less expensive than the GTR 200.

LRU- Line Replacable Unit

In the commercial aviation world we use the term LRU - Line Replaceable Unit very often. These can typically be replaced in a matter of minutes since they fit into a "tray/shelf". The tray/shelf holds the wire bundle and connectors so when removing the LRU you only need to deal with loosening the quick securing fasteners, swap the box and no dealing with wires.

After watching the video, I'm still not clear on what the LRU will consist of.

But I am also wondering what the pricing of the GTR 20 remote mount comm radio will be. Being that it does not have a display, I would imagine it would be less expensive than the GTR 200.

In this case the LRU isn't a specific unit, but a "LRU Package" consisting of several LRU...likely to be: GSU (ADAHRS), GMU (Magenetometer), OAT (Air Temp), and a Config Module, etc..

The GTR-20 remote radio is readily available now at a price of $995, which as you notice is $200+ cheaper than the panel mount version. That said, I think you'll want/need the Touchscreen to use the remote mount radio.

Cheers,
Stein

G3X 370 LRU Same for touch screen?

Is the new touch screen LRU the same? I have a G300 system that I'm putting together for a RV14 build.

I have a 370 screen that I would sell but I guess I'm hoping the LRU would be compatible with the new touch screen system.

Keith

Is the new touch screen LRU the same? I have a G300 system that I'm putting together for a RV14 build.

I have a 370 screen that I would sell but I guess I'm hoping the LRU would be compatible with the new touch screen system.

Keith

The info I have received from Garmin and Pacific Coast Avionics is that all of the modules used with GDU 37X systems are compatible with the new touch screen.

Download the touch screen manuals from Garmin to verify for yourself.

I am ready to buy a GDU 370 or 375. Most recent prices on ebay for 375s are $1135 and $1500, with prices falling. Will pay $1400 for a 375, something less for a 370.

Scott Kelley
503-678-2849

Hi all,

The pricing is finally done, the packages are ready. Here's the deal:

LRU package with OAT, ADAHRS, Magnetometer and Config Module: $1875
Add EIS (Engine Monitor) for $599.

We also have a decent amount of GDU370's new in the box (NOS - as in new old stock never installed but perhaps shipped to a customer) from customers that we will be selling for them, no GDU375's at this time.

Cheers,
Stein

GDU 370

If anyone wants to sell a new old stock GDU 370 for say $1200 pm or email me. Will do two screens, just waiting to see if the touch will soon talk to a GDU 370 or if I must go two GDU 370s.

WTB GDU 375

Does anyone have a GDU 375 they're interested in parting with? I'm keen to have a MFD with XM in the cockpit and don't have space for a touch.

Thanks,

Jeff

G3x

Stein,
Could you compare for us the cost of a new single Touch Screen System vs a Dual 370/375 system . Looks like the new screen is twice the size . Just trying to see if it's worth using the older panels and what value/price should be placed on them .
Tom A ,,,,, Getting ready to purchase a panel !!!

Stein,
Could you compare for us the cost of a new single Touch Screen System vs a Dual 370/375 system . Looks like the new screen is twice the size . Just trying to see if it's worth using the older panels and what value/price should be placed on them .
Tom A ,,,,, Getting ready to purchase a panel !!!

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in this...been busy lately! :)

Anyway, here is a good set of "rough" number for you.

A single screen G3X Touch system with all the goodies (including probes/sensors, servos, antennas, etc.. ends up being right around $9.5K.

A dual screen 370/375 package with all the same goodies (probes/sensors, servos, etc..) ends up being about $300-$400 more.

Using some of these "NOS" type screens that we've been working with folks on likely would save you somewhere between $400-$800 on a system depending on various details. The prices on the GDU370/375's have ranged from a low of around $1200 up to about $1800 depending on age, condition, whether they are new in the box, warranty, etc..

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Stein

WTB GDU375

Looking for a GDU375 display to add to my single GDU370 panel. Please PM with price and condition. Would consider a GDU 370 if priced right.

FOR SALE: G3X GDU370 Single Screen

Stein,

I would like to sell my G3X GDU370 and participate in the Garmin program to acquire the new touch screen. This GDU370 was purchased from Stein and has never been out of the box.

Let me know if any other details are needed for participation.

Mike McKelvey
RV8 ++++++++++SOLD+++++++++++++++

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back