What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 seats

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
I saw a post on the internet by an RV-8 guy named JT that had a really nice set of RV-8 seats made somewhere. Anyone know how to contact him or where he got the seats made?

59-CC79-B5-C2-E3-4-A22-940-C-BA97-F029-DD7-A.jpg

Thanks Gary, exactly what I was looking for to use in my -8. I contacted Rusty so we’ll go from there. I did research on all the major seat makers like Oregon Aero, Classic Aero, Flightline Interiors, DJ at Cleveland Tool etc.

All have good products and I’ve had stuff made in the past by both Flightline and DJ and very happy with both. Right now I’m leaning to have DJ do my seats because she does great work and is considerably cheaper than the others and will use a custom leather I provide.

Thinking that 5 yards should be enough for a set of RV-8 seats. Anyone know if this seems about the right amount- too much, too little, just right?

Lastly- anyone know how to contact JT? I’d like to get his opinion of how well his seats are holding up and any thoughts if he’d design them any differently.

Last edited:
I ordered the seat plans from Van’s and cut out the patterns. I laid them out and came up with 4.5 yards needed which rounds to 5. I’m sure a pro could do it with less if the laid it out more efficiently. Much like wire it’s better to have a little extra. Depends on what else you may upholster like interior panels. Estimate accordingly

Was able to find Rusty’s website and look at some seats. I saw JTs seats which are a little different which I previously shared a picture. I contacted Mike Stewart and he has a Rusty interior and is happy with it

I like the shoulder harness coming through the seat back to keep everything in place. I already have side panels so I’d send Rusty the same material for the seats. Anyone have these seats below?

3-EA7-A25-B-244-D-4397-9-FCF-0-A0-A320861-B2.jpg

E6F9AF5F-7398-4024-8319-EE76B97C4093.jpg

Last edited:
Back