What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3A - F-303 match drill

blaplante

Well Known Member
I have a few idea on how to do this, but wanted to toss the problem out here for possible better ideas.

Issue is - an RV-3A (so not modern QB wings) - the left forward F-303 section has a torn hole. Clearly someone was installing or removing the wings and missed a bolt. The tear is over an inch long, so clearly this part should be replaced. OK no problem to remove it and replicate the part. But then, we need to match drill (to close tolerances) the spar bolt holes.

The various complications... if you try to do it using the spar in the airplane there is not much holding the wing at the correct angle and there is a lot of force in single shear against the aft F-303.

Once a few holes are match drilled, then the splice plates make a much better & stronger template.

Hoping someone's been here before and had a good plan! [Other than ripping out the whole center section ...]

I'd talk with Van's support. Keep trying until you find someone who will help. Sometimes I've gotten no help from one of the people there.

Dave

Back