What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall fuel line location

BGordon

Well Known Member
Good morning everyone,
Working on my fuel line from the boost pump to the firewall and have a quick question. When I started my project I intended to use a carbureted engine so I installed the F-601Z aux fuel firewall doubler. I ended up getting a fuel injected engine so my boost pump location changed. My question is, would there be a problem with running a steel fitting through the aluminum doubler? Or do I need to go through the firewall at a different location?
Thanks,
Brandon

Good morning everyone,
Working on my fuel line from the boost pump to the firewall and have a quick question. When I started my project I intended to use a carbureted engine so I installed the F-601Z aux fuel firewall doubler. I ended up getting a fuel injected engine so my boost pump location changed. My question is, would there be a problem with running a steel fitting through the aluminum doubler? Or do I need to go through the firewall at a different location?
Thanks,
Brandon

See OP-32 for the correct penetration point for the IO engine.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Op-32

While you're looking, check the location of the contactors. If I did it again, I would creep the fuel penetration to the port side by about 1/2". Just a tiny bit more soace between the output side of the starter contactor and the fuel line.
I used all steel fittings from firewall forward

While you're looking, check the location of the contactors. If I did it again, I would creep the fuel penetration to the port side by about 1/2". Just a tiny bit more soace between the output side of the starter contactor and the fuel line.

I was just about to comment the same thing but Larry beat me to it.

As to the steel fitting...That's what I'm doing.
Seems to me that an aluminum fuel fitting through a stainless firewall is a weak spot. Plus...I like the fact that the steel fitting is stronger.
icon14.gif

Also, I'm not worried about dissimilar metal corrosion as the fitting and firewall are easy to inspect.

I have and IO engine and Van's early high pressure boost pump/filter on the floor in front of the spar, but used a gascolator and the Van's doubler. This put my fuel line penetration to the right side, well out of the way of most other firewall mountings.
It could probably be done without the gascolator, maybe with one of those thick aluminum washers that Vans provides.

The photo is during construction, so some wires are loose yet.

Attachments

• Fuel Gascolator.jpg
    Fuel Gascolator.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 189
FWF

Another recommendation.
Delete all the hoses from the Vans FWF kit and have TS Flightlines fab custom integral fire sleeved lines.

New gear

That area gets pretty tight. if you plan to relocate the fuel line from the Vans recommended penetration, then you must consider getting around the new gear "stuff" the existing Vans location is already tight.

I did the same thing; I put short bolts in the doubler nutplates for the fuel pump and left it as per the plans.

Another recommendation.
Delete all the hoses from the Vans FWF kit and have TS Flightlines fab custom integral fire sleeved lines.

Order the custom fuel hose only when you decide to use the Red Cube fuel flow transducer. If you don't have the fuel transducer, then all the hoses in the Vans FWF kit should fit the installation. In my case, the only reason I had to order the custom TS Flightline hoses was to connect the mechanical fuel pump to the RedCube and from the RedCube to the fuel injector servo.

Here is a picture of what everyone is referring to. It would be better if you could move the fuel line bulkhead fitting hole slightly inboard. I think 1/4" would be plenty.

This is from before I rolled the canoe so it is upside down.

There is enough room for the fuel fitting, but it is close. Also, I had to notch the end of one of my contactors so they would fit.

Attachments

• contactors_1.jpg
    contactors_1.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 230
Hoses

Order the custom fuel hose only when you decide to use the Red Cube fuel flow transducer. If you don't have the fuel transducer, then all the hoses in the Vans FWF kit should fit the installation. In my case, the only reason I had to order the custom TS Flightline hoses was to connect the mechanical fuel pump to the RedCube and from the RedCube to the fuel injector servo.

To be fair, yes. My transducer is one issue. I have the IO360M1B with new A model gear.
I did use a firewall oil cooler so that resulted in some changes too. My bad.
However, the others were stock. If someone wants to know which lines didn't work, shoot me a PM.

I deleted all the Van's lines from the FW FWD kit and ordered lines from Tom at TS, great stuff. I also ordered his Red Cube mount so I have single line from pump to throttle body then a line from throttle body to the FT60 and right angle fitting into fuel spider:

FT60 Installed by Dave Hock, on Flickr

Note: I have a Lycoming Thunderbolt I(O)360-M1B and Lyc provided line from pump to throttle body and throttle body to spider... so I have two very nice and unused fire sleeved lines. That said the integral fire sleeve Tom does is awesome.

I too would move it inboard 1/4” or so. Will still be clear of all the gear stuff. Best way to rout the fuel line is 45 hose end and a half loop back to the pump. I think the -14A uses this rout too. Hoses from TS or AS worked beautifully.

For 'A" model 7s, using the AN833-6J (we like a stainless version) we use a 45* hose end on the pump supply hose to clear the gear mount section. This keeps the cabin plumbing stock.
For the mechanical pump supply hose, The VA136 hose is a straight/90* assembly, normally used for pump to servo. In the new application, it comes off the firewall, makes a 90* right turn and then loops back to the pump. A 9 inch hose length distance. WE just wanted to cut that down some, not only for appearance, but to reduce the possiblity of some vapor issues.

Tom

Attachments

• ASF6B14F HOSE FOR NEW MOUNT.jpg
    ASF6B14F HOSE FOR NEW MOUNT.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 118
Ray----thats the only one I have. RV7A that was under construction by a local A&P. Good clearance around the gear section of the mount, and mimics the original routing. WE just changed to a 45* hose end to turn the hose away from the gear section.
Tom
It sure would be nice to have all these mockups and parts inhouse so I could get all the pics you guys need!!
Tom

Fuel line

I had Tom fab mine with a 45 and a bit shorter. He should be able to look it up.
I can post a pic tonight

Back