What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cherry rivet question (CCR264SS3-3 specifically)

So I'm fixing a screw up I made (put the wrong nut plates into the VS) and Vans suggested I re-install the right plates with the CCR264SS3-3 flush rivets.

Got the rivets and they seem a bit weird/concerning. I noticed the stems come all the way out without hardly crunching the back. They also were a bit loose. Tried lubricating them per Vans instructions in the book and now most are tight (not all) but still don't crunch much in the machine side.

Anyone have any experience with these rivets to know how they're supposed to work and any trick to getting a confident looking result. Can't afford to get a loose rivet in a spot I can't drill out (it'll spin if I can't hold the back).

Thanks in advance....

If it is lose then it is not set right but a picture will help to get a more educated opinion.

Yes, the CCR264 series are a bit odd - if you look them up on the Cherry web site, they are specifically called “nut plate rivets”. They are pretty soft, and the stem is designed to pull through. They are not intended to take any real load - just keep nut plates from falling off, so they are very different than most of the pulled rivets we use.

I would think a 3-3 should pull up reasonably tight, but yes, it might feel a little loose if you’re used to stainless pulled rivets. The question is if the nut plate seems to stay in position - if it does, you’re good. If not - then the rivet didn’t set right.

Paul

Maybe a Dumb Question!

Is there a reason you can't squeeze these rivets if you can get a hand squeezer on them to tighten them?

Thanks

Back