What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extra parts

So i am ending up with several extras on my RV-10 build, specifically several fuselage sheet metal pieces…..Bottom skins , floor plates etc etc.
Most of these came when they changed the gear mount months after i had already installed and riveted the original pieces. Vans sent a lot of pieces that had small minor changes in them but the originals worked perfectly fine as well.
I don’t know if Vans takes them back for credit but i am afraid the shipping would negate any benefit…….
I also went with controlled approach rudder pedals so i also have that complete stock system…….
Is it normal to offer up stock parts in the classified section of stock parts for whatever Vans charged? Or would that violate some unwritten rule?

Generally I see stuff go for about 50% of what it is worth brand new. Not sure why this is. The seller is happy because it is gone and they don't have to pay shipping to return the item to Van's (or other suppliers). The buyer is happy because they get an item at a discount and would have to pay shipping anyway.

50% just seems to be the approximate average I've noticed. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.

There's no unwritten rule. It's your property and your money. Ask whatever you want.. If you don't want to take a loss, then ask what you paid.. If you're willing to take a loss and give fellow builders a deal, then ask less.. Van's is taking extra time to send stuff out these days, so someone might pay more to avoid waiting on Van's to ship.. But yeah, most people don't ask full price..

Back