What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTP-59 Alternative? Davtron OAT Probe?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hi all,

Has anyone successfully used a davtron OAT probe as an alternative to the GTP-59 for direct into the G3X system?

Thanks,
D

Last edited:
Hi all,

Has anyone successfully used a davtron OAT probe as an alternative to the GTP-59?

Thanks,
D

What do you want to connect this OAT probe to?

You can use either a GTP 59 or an AD590 (EDMO 655 or Davtron C307PS) based probe with a GAD 13 (often used with a G5), but you cannot connect an AD590 based probe to a GSU 25.

The Garmin GTP 59 is a TSO'd probe designed to meet or exceed the performance requirements of +/- 1.5 deg C from -70C to +50C.

The AD590 integrated circuit used in the lower cost air temperature probes is available in several grades, and it is only the highest, most expensive grade (seldom used) that comes close to the accuracy of the GTP 59.

Your signature says you are looking for G3X parts. A new "LRU Kit" for a G3X system includes a GSU 25C ADAHRS, a GMU 11 magnetometer, a GTP 59 OAT probe, and a G3X system configuration module (all things you will need) and generally costs $1,500 or less. Find a display and add this LRU kit, and you have the core parts for a basic G3X system.

cf-lg-39f4e189-af05-42c3-8030-7baa48e67441.jpg

Steve

Has anyone successfully used a davtron OAT probe as an alternative to the GTP-59?

Yes, I have the Davtron connected to a GAP 13 OAT Interface. It injects the OAT data onto the CANBus & my G5's pick it up from there. No issues at all.

Thanks, I am looking to add this to a g3x touch package I purchased and didnt come with the OAT. I was wanting to see if the Davtron would work in replacement of the garmin 59.

Thanks,
D

I am looking to add this to a g3x touch package I purchased and didnt come with the OAT. I was wanting to see if the Davtron would work in replacement of the garmin 59.

You need the GAD 13. It's less expensive than the GTP 59 and puts the OAT data on the CANBus to be used by G3x, G5, etc.

Back