What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grass strips

VANDawg

Thinking of buying a RV-8A and need to know if they are recommended if a grass strip. If so, how refined does it need to be. The reason for the question is that I may build a runway behind my house.

Since it’s your strip you will know it well and should have no issues. You might look at the threads about bigger tires.

Grass Strips

I saw your query on grass strips. I built my own irrigated grass strip (AZ26) and I've operated 4's, 6's and 7's off the airfield. I cut the grass to a 3" height and it works beautifully on RV's with wheel pants. Grass, well kept and nicely cut, is a wonderful, forgiving surface. Highly recommended.

Grass Strips

If you are going to put your own strip in pay careful attention to drainage with no low points where water can pool crowning the runway is best, also spend time getting out any undulations then it will be a joy to fly off with an A model.

Put in my own strip and have paid attention to drainage and now have a nice all year round grass strip.

Enjoy
Rob

Since it’s your strip you will know it well and should have no issues. You might look at the threads about bigger tires.

Larger mains on an 8A would give a serious nose down stance on the ground. The nose wheel fork restricts the tire size there so you couldn’t upsize without a modified or custom fork.

Another issue with a larger tire on the nose is it changes the geometry between the nose & main wheels (think Questair Venture looks). I modified a couple forks for 500x5 tires, one for a 7A & one for a 8A in the past. The 7A worked out very nicely with oversized nose wheel (ground stance looked more like a 6A than a 7A), but the 8A was a real challenge requiring a custom nose gear leg needing to be manufactured to accommodate the height & geometry issues. My advise is not to go this route on a 8A!

Last edited:
What is the O.D. of all the different wheel options

Larger mains on an 8A would give a serious nose down stance on the ground.

My understanding is that the RV-8A has a slight upward stance as designed. What wheel sizes were on that modified RV-8A? Wondering if the 380-15-5 was too big for the stock fork or did you go bigger than that....?

I am having a bit of trouble confirming (with certainty) the difference in OD between the different tire options. Reading about 5.00x5s being anywhere from 12.5-14" OD depending on the source. Also read 14" for the 380-15-5 so that doesn't help :confused:

FWIW - (not for this project) I do have an uninflated 6.00x6 wheel/tire in hand that has an OD of just under 17" and would require larger axles anyway- each axle and main leg in my RV-8A kit are the same piece of steel.

I am having a bit of trouble confirming (with certainty) the difference in OD between the different tire options. Reading about 5.00x5s being anywhere from 12.5-14" OD depending on the source. Also read 14" for the 380-15-5 so that doesn't help :confused:

From this thread:

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=147013

Thanks for the informative links, Mickey! Those are a huge help!
My pleasure. BTW, I have the bigger 380x150 tires on my RV-8 and I'm still not too comfortable using our grass strip. I've only taxied on it so far, too chicken to take off or land. I'll have to land on grass sometime...

Matco

My understanding is that the RV-8A has a slight upward stance as designed. What wheel sizes were on that modified RV-8A? Wondering if the 380-15-5 was too big for the stock fork or did you go bigger than that....?

FWIW - (not for this project) I do have an uninflated 6.00x6 wheel/tire in hand that has an OD of just under 17" and would require larger axles anyway- each axle and main leg in my RV-8A kit are the same piece of steel.

Most 6” rims are for 1.5” axles. Matco sells a 6” rim that fits a 1.25” axle. I have them on my -14.

Thanks Marvin, I should have clarified- the full assembly I have requires a larger axle. (unless there is an adapter bushing of some sort available?)

However I think I still want to stay with 5" rims for my 8A. Once I get the nose fork in hand, I will decide on tire size. Cheers

8a

I have a 8a that I first flew in 2012 now with over 600 hrs. I did the bigger tires , rv 10 fork with custom gear leg when building, was not a big deal at all and would do it again even if I weren't on a grass strip. Did a few other upgrades to the fork/gear leg arrangement . If interested in details give me a call. 815 291 8864 Ron

Back