What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inspecting an RV8 I want to buy, advice on what to look for?

moespeeds

Well Known Member
Friend
I will get a Pre-Buy inspection by an A&P who is familiar with RVs if I'm actually going to purchase.

However, on my initial inspection of an 8, is there anything specific or trouble areas I should look for?

Any advice is appreciated,

Thanks!

Moe Colontonio
Cherry Hill, NJ

Somebody with way more knowledge than me will chime in with a better list but aside from the obvious build quality things...
Pay special attention to the few areas where Van's has published Service Bulletins.

The quickest way to figure out what to look for is to buy Vic Syracuse’s book! I believe you can buy it online and it has years and years of experience packed in as to what you want to look for - and what you want to look OUT for.

No quicker or more detailed way to answer your question...

Paul

I agree with purchasing Vic Syracuse’s book. One thing I don’t think he mentioned is to check the gear legs to be sure they are well seated in the saddles and don’t wobble. Check this by jacking up each wing one at a time so you can check each gear leg individually. There are instructions in the construction manual available from Van’s for the initial fitting and for the checking the torque of the bolts at each annual condition inspection. We had to replace the saddles, bolts, nuts, and high strength washers at the first annual on the -8 I purchased.

Back