What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drill Bits for Canopy and Window

avatty

Well Known Member
The canopy and window require drill bits for acrylic in wire gauge sizes 40, 36 and 27 (if I found them all) and Vans recommends Diamond Dust coated bits. Does anyone know where to get these? ATS only has a 1/8 inch size, for example, and other specialty businesses have the brand but no appropriate sizes.

McMaster-Carr is the only source I found for acrylic (60-deg.) bits in wire gauge sizes, but these are uncoated HSS and not the Vans-recommended brand, are these what people have used? My guess is any quality bit made for acrylics should do, but usually I try to go with Van's recommendations. Thanks!

I used std #40 drill bits to make all of the initial holes and used a quality uni-bit to enlarge them. progressed slowly through the hole to let heat build up and do much of the work. Key is to not break trough the back side of the hole with a lot of force that can lead to chipping of the acrylic. This was the approach recommended back in the days of the 6 kit.

No issues for me. I can't imagine the std 60* bits would be a problem, as they are made specifically for acrylic. Lots of companies use them for drilling acrylic.

Larry

Last edited:
You can make your own easily - just chuck up the desired size 'normal' bit in a drill, then spin it in reverse while working the edges of the tip of the bit on a spinning grinder. The idea is to remove the edges of the tip and make it more spear-tip shaped.

Last edited:
Thank you, they do! Order sent!
Tom,
I order those from abbeon and while it was OK, they are not nearly as good as the ones that you can get from TAP plastic. Unfortunately TAP plastic does not have numbered drill bit but my recommendation is to use the ones from abbeon for number 40 and 36 but when it is to go to the next size, use the 5/32 from TAP plastic. I have seen chipped and minor cracks with drill bit from McMaster and abbeon but never with TAP plastic.

I have them all if you ever want to drive to Sac to barrow them.

Mehrdad, try FTM, they are right off Missouri Flat Road. They also sell a really good cleaner for plastic .

Back