What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Install of the uAvionix AV30E

tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed an AV30E themselves, or have a lead on a reasonably priced avionics shop in the Tampa Bay area?

I have read online that the install time of the AV30 is much less than that of a G5, ranging as little as 2 hours with an average of 4 to 6 hours.

I spoke with an avionics shop today that quoted 10 hours to install it as an AI, and 20 hrs more to install it as a DG. They explained that the extra hours was because of the magnetometer (which the AV30 actually does not even have).
They would not be able to do the work until July.

Av30 E install

Installed two last week in a R44. Took less than two hours.
Was just the basics, no OAT or GPS, but, that was all we needed to replace electric AH and DG. Used the existing wires. Saved 4.4 lbs.
Full install would take a little more time depending on access.

Did you also connect the audio alerts

Thanks for that info. It is encouraging. Did you also connect the audio alerts for AOA and G meter?

Easy

Installed my AV-30E. Bought a cradle/harness for my Garmin 660 to have access to the 232 wire for GPS hookup for GPS heading. Also plumbed in the pitot and static from the legacy instrument, simply T'd into them. Full project was less than 4 hours. Customizing how I want each display to look is ongoing. As you mentioned currently no magnometer but suggested availability this year. I DID NOT do the OAT. GREAT INSTRUMENT, GREAT VALUE. Preferred over my Garmin G5 but not as good as my Garmin 275.

Good luck

If you hook up to a certified GPS, will it display a glideslope? I have a GRT HXr and it would be good to have nav redundancy if I bought a certified GPS.

Thanks.
John

glide slope with AV30

John Owen, I don't think that the AV30 has that feature although the Garmin G5 does I think.

Recently installed AV-30 in a RV3B and not so difficult. The OAT probe was installed in the centre of an access panel about 2' out from the wing root, the OAT signal wire was secured and protected from chafe and brought back to AV-30. The power wire for the AV-30 was connected to an existing 10 amp avionics fuse. An inline fuse specifically for the AV-30 (3 amp?) was also installed.
Ground from the AV-30 was connected to a common ground point on the airframe, in addition to a less than 8"long braided ground strap. The AV-30 also needs to have both pitot and static lines connected if full function is desired, so must T into the existing pitot and static lines. Tying into the existing pitot/static lines is very easy to do and requires a couple of inexpensive fittings.
Though manufacturer of the AV-30 states that shielded wire must be used, the provided connecter and pigtails were not shielded. Not wanting to wait weeks or longer for an order of shielded wire, wired with unshielded wire and have had no problems whatsoever.
My Garmin 696 is interfaced with the AV-30 using the RS-232 output wire (blue wire) from the Garmin and is proving very useful. The RV3, having not much in the way of panel space, dictated the 696 being mounted low and under the panel. Having navigation information displayed via the AV-30 has been a real treat. The AV-30 is not a difficult install. Most time consuming is running and securing the wires. The only problem I ran into was crimping such tiny wires without damaging them. If you have a problem powering up, as I did... get the multi-meter out and check continuity. I discovered I was a little too aggressive with the crimper and had mashed a connection. The install isn't rocket it science, just takes time, patience and attention to detail.
The times quoted by the avionics shop are a bit much. I spent a lot less time doing the install than you were quoted by the shop and I billed me way less than they would charge you.

Last edited:
AV-30 is a very easy install. I have put them in an RV-3B, Aviat Husky and Cessna Bird Dog. The connector comes pre-wired with about a 3' harness with the function of each laser printed on the insulation. No crimpers required. I interfaced the units with aera 660's (RV-3B and Husky) and aera 760 (Bird Dog). The Husky and RV-3B had G5 AI's that I swapped out to the AV-30. The Husky was a test installation I switched back to G5 prior to flight as it was before the AV-30 was approved for certified A/C. The AV-30 provides great lateral guidance and I really like the EFIS Arc view for cross-country in clear conditions. The AV-30 does not provide vertical guidance like glide slope. At least for now. There is no magnetometer option so your shop apparently doesn't know what it is talking about if they quoted additional labor for it. I would highly recommend the optional Davtron OAT probe as that will give you TAS and density altitude. The AV-30 is probably less than half the time to install compared to the G5 with same features. The G5 requires external LRU for OAT interface through CAN Bus with commensurate wiring. The AV-30 has that stuff built into the unit so it's just OAT probe wires directly. The G5 also requires assembly of the D-Sub connector and backshell with fancy quality contact crimper with proper positioner that the AV-30 bypasses. The G5 has an backup battery option whereas the AV-30 has one built-in out of the box.

If you splice any of the AV-30 harness wires into the aircraft wiring, use a solder joint with heat shrink, not conventional butt connectors. Cleaner more reliable connection.

Summary: For a nice functional easy install that looks awesome and works great go for the AV-30. If you have the need to integrate with a G3X Touch or GFC autopilot and vertical guidance capability go for the G5.

If you hook up to a certified GPS, will it display a glideslope? I have a GRT HXr and it would be good to have nav redundancy if I bought a certified GPS.

Thanks.
John

No Glideslope available on the AV30 - According the uAvionix, no plan to add that. Very simple to install -I've been running it for over a year in my Exp Cub, love it. I'm also a huge Garmin fan so I wouldn't go so far as to say it's better than the G5. The G5 registers airspeed all the way down to around 20 mph, I see it on my RV7 but the AV30 does not register airspeed lower than around 38 mph. For RVs it's not an issue but for a cub that lands/stalls around 30, it's just annoying. Also, no Glide Slope on the AV30, no integration with the Garmin Auto pilot either. The G meter in the AV30 is just okay. Don't get me wrong, I really like the AV30 and it looks great in a Cub.... You shouldn't have any issue installing it if you already purchased it. But if you are still looking and comparing it to G5 you may want to compare a bit more based on your needs and what you already have in your plane.

AV-30 has an audio issue with alerts after install. Had anyone managed to find a work around? I’ve spoken with two shops that have said the same thing. Both shops tell the owners that the audio has a hum in the background after the screen starts up, regardless of the wire or filters used.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
AV-30 audio output into old style audio panel??

I'd also be interested in experiences with the AV-30's audio output. My RV-6 tilt-up has limited space for an audio panel between the panel and subpanel, so when I built it 20 yrs ago, I installed a short-chassis Collins AMR-350 panel. It has worked fine all these years. The uAvonics install manual recommends wiring the audio output into a non-switched input. However, the Collins has only switched inputs, so I used the unused ADF input. The problem is that when switched on, the EFIS output steps on the audio from the comm. radios with noise. I suspect an impedance problem, and will be troubleshooting, but would be interested if anyone has had success using a switched input on an old fashioned audio panel?

-JP

I already have a G5 HSI, and would like to eventually install a GFC500. Has anyone paired a G5 with a GI275 or AV30? Any suggestions or comments on doing that? I like the look and functionality of the 275 and AV30 over a second G5.

I already have a G5 HSI, and would like to eventually install a GFC500. Has anyone paired a G5 with a GI275 or AV30? Any suggestions or comments on doing that? I like the look and functionality of the 275 and AV30 over a second G5.

What type of IFR navigator do you currently have or plan on updating to, if any?

Do you have any future plans for a glass flight deck such as G3X, HDX etc?

Back