What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

14-02 Question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I assume that you have to counter sink the aft nut plate (the one that the screw hole is dimpled), but I don't see it in the plans. It does show that the nut plate is attached with countersunk rivets, so I assume I have to counter sink.

My manual is out on the hangar so I'm guessing at this point. It might be dimpled as it's not in the wing walk doubler area?

Dimple All Three

The skin should be dimpled for the screw as well as the rivets. You only have one skin layer to rivet through. There is not enough material there to countersink.

The skin should be dimpled for the screw as well as the rivets. You only have one skin layer to rivet through. There is not enough material there to countersink.

Agree.

The nutplates that are attached to the area with multiple layers of aluminum are countersunk. However, the very last one, the one you are asking about I believe (labeled as 'Aft Most Nutplate Holes') are dimpled only. 2 small rivet dimples and one dimple for a #8 screw I believe.

if that is the case, then the nut plate does not sit flush with the skin, but rather sits up on the dimples.

The reason that I asked is because I did not think that you could machine countersink one layer of metal.

Thanks
Ken

Again no plans in front of me but I believe it calls for a K1100-08 nutplate which should be a dimpled nutplate (dimpled for the rivets only).

after looking all over the shop, I found the correct nut plates and figured out why I was confused.

Thanks
ken

Here ya, I have actually taken a week off and just getting back to it, I was spending too much time and made a mistake where I riveted the access plate doubler to the wrong side of the skin.:D

Correct

screw hole drilled to #19 and Dimpled

Rivet holes dimpled for 426AD3-4 rivet

Use K1100-08D as D for Dimpled nutplate

Attachments

• 14-02 question.png
    14-02 question.png
    170.3 KB · Views: 107
Back