What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

spreading ashes

Nope. No practical method found.

Used a rented C-172 so window or door could be popped.
Tube used to insure exit point is outside and in the slipstream.
(avoids the backwash problem)

A BC12D taylorcraft worked fine with a 2 inch PVC tube tie wrapped to the jury strut and a string to pull the front and rear "duct tape door " off.

Paging Captain John...(CJ). He rigged up some sort of tube mounted under the wing to spread the ashes of his dog.

I've seen it done in a -6. Paper bag secured and held tight up against the belly / wing intersection with a string through the flap actuator hole. Another string fastened such that it will tear open the bag. Not so memorable as tossing out a window, but it's a way to do it. I would imagine you'd want to test on the ground with flour to make sure the flaps don't get fouled or something and maybe also in the air just to ensure nothing uncomfortable happens with the real thing.

Our buddy Vlad designed and implements a canister solution mounted under the wing...I believe using one of the wing tie down points. I will let him respond if he wishes. His solution is quite impressive.

Yes, I have heard and seen the horror stories and certainly sensitive to the situation. YouTube has some interesting examples. RV's of course are a little more challenging because the canopy is the point of ingress and egress and is closed meaning the cremains either have to be outside and released through a mechanism, or inside and release in some fashion to the outside via a tube or pipe. One of my questions is how long the pipe or tube needs to extend to get beyond the slipstream to create a sufficient vacuum and what diameter is recommended? Another question is what is used to practice, I was thinking of kitty liter, but I saw pea gravel that had been used.
Thanks for the responses.

In that BC12D we found that the tube had to have pressure into the front of the pipe to be able to get anything out the back. There just wasnt enough "pull" from the rear opening to evacuate anything. Of course that was at 85 mph. Seems like the trial with sand failed misserably until we established the flow thru method.

It can go bad

Be careful. I have seen the rope and a paper bag work using a 172. I also have a friend who had it flash back in his 172 and he was cleaning his dad out of the upholstery and even said the ash got in his teeth. :eek: I decided that I wasn't going to be in that business......

John

Yes I did, to scatter the ashes of a good friend, even if he was (unfortunately) a spam-can pilot.

It resembled a torpedo using the left wing tie down, some PVC tubing, a pair of linear actuators and some fiberglass work to smooth the airflow a bit. Ran the wiring along the trailing edge of the wing just ahead of the flap to a 12VDC socket on the panel with a switch controlling the actuators for his wife to open at the appropriate time.

Tested great beforehand, and worked beautifully for his 'final flight'.

45579279392_a600d0265d_c.jpg

I knew a guy that wound up in the vacuum cleaner at the airport once because of the pressure blowing the ashes back in the airplane (C 172).

I know of a lady that got washed out of a AT 502 after the pilot failed to open the hopper vent for dry application. The hopper rinse finished the job very well.

Original built for a Cub, and a very nice electrically actuated adaptation for underwing on an RV, credit Vlad and some bright guys in his circle.

It's the right way to do it. I'll be building another one for the RV-8 in the not distant future, attached to the same six underwing points as the 50 cal gas gun.

Attachments

• P9190007.JPG
    P9190007.JPG
    693.1 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC_0048.JPG
    DSC_0048.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 243
  • for DanH - 1 (1).jpg
    for DanH - 1 (1).jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 357
  • for DanH.jpg
    for DanH.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 295
Spreading ashes

Dan, would you please share the plans for your device. I have been asked many times to spread ashes, but have never had a proper device for my RV 8.

Found a method that worked for me. All mechanical and tested to 120 kts. I think it can withstand a reasonable cruise speed, but why risk it. Never have been able to post a picture, but email me if interested.

[email protected]

I'll see if this works:

Attachments

• ash can 1.jpg
    ash can 1.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 181
  • ash can 5.jpg
    ash can 5.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 153
  • ash can 3.jpg
    ash can 3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 160
The cone method works well!

I watched a friend spread another friend's ashes. His method was to sew up a long cone. The base of the cone was open. The apex of the cone was sewn to a cord or small rope. The ashes were put into the cone which was then rolled up starting at the open end. it was rolled up and until several wraps of the cord secured the bundle. At altitude the window was opened and the bundle placed into the slipstream while holding on to the cord. The package unfurled dispensing my other friends ashes into eternity.

Make sure the rope and cone are not so long as to get into the tail of the aircraft.

It worked well, no ash on the airplane, or in the cockpit. Dispose of the cone afterword in a respectful manner and you've got it.

I was present at an identical result. I wasn't running the show, but a bunch of folks were out on a rock jetty in lake Superior. Wind was blowing inconsistently and those closest to the release brought a bit of grandma and grandpa home with them.

It was really hard to no laugh out loud......
Similar. Buddies widow spreading his ashes from the stern of a boat. Whoops. I'm sure he would have laughed too.

Bead Blasting

I dumped ashes out the window of a 172 years ago. The ashes contian bits of chared bone as well as ashes. The bone bits make excellent media for bead blasting, whiclh is what happened to the leading edge of the 172 horizonal stab.

When you land, look at the nice shiney aluminium. :)

Paging Captain John...(CJ). He rigged up some sort of tube mounted under the wing to spread the ashes of his dog.

Yes, I did spread my dog's ashes with it and it works perfectly! It was actually done with Russki's device, which I currently have in my custody.

He want's it back and my plane is currently out of service waiting on the engine rebuild.

That being said, if arrangements were made for it's use and ultimate return to the Russian and if it were OK'ed with him...

He refers to it as the GBE tube. Here is a video clip of it in action:

https://youtu.be/9rGubnIWpfA

:cool: CJ

Past experiences have shown that any ashes released within the propeller slipstream can damage the finish on the empennage.

Yes, I did spread my dog's ashes with it and it works perfectly! It was actually done with Russki's device, which I currently have in my custody.

He want's it back and my plane is currently out of service waiting on the engine rebuild.

That being said, if arrangements were made for it's use and ultimate return to the Russian and if it were OK'ed with him...

He refers to it as the GBE tube. Here is a video clip of it in action:

https://youtu.be/9rGubnIWpfA

:cool: CJ

Get the Mistress fixed and head my way. You will never regret :D

CJ with the GBE tube

CJ_with_the_device_-_1.jpeg

Loading procedure. Rangeley Lake, Maine.

CJ_with_the_device_-_1_(1).jpeg

Back