What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip-up canopy openings

Kirk S

I have about a dozen small openings between the canopy and the front fuselage skin that will allow air and water inside the panel area, how have others sealed this area ?
TIA, Kirk

8D7784B6-0A82-44E1-A9A6-B46EA22F11B1.jpg

Those get proseal from behind. I won't tell you that you're all good to go after that though.

Those get proseal from behind. I won't tell you that you're all good to go after that though.

I've always thought I'd build a tip-up simply because I love the view. All of this talk of leaks I've heard has me second guessing that though. I live in the Pacific Northwest. I take it there isn't really a standard solution for sealing that works?

This is what I did too.

To use the tear drop seal, the gap needs to be even and precise around 3/4 of the frame to the fuse - - good luck. I did test that seal and it will hold against pressure to 250 kts equivalent in dynamic pressure.

Last edited:
I built some little filler pieces to fit under those slots. Just glued on with proseal.
The tip up has some larger gaps where the hinges reside. I made up some filler pieces for those too, and this helps support the gap seal.

You can see below the little silver pieces between the slots.
IMG_4970-M.jpg

Used some of the leftover scraps of stiffener material.
IMG_4971-M.jpg

Initial fit, then trim back the edge to match.
IMG_4972-M.jpg

Final trim and fit. You may have to get the top skin on to help align everything.
IMG_4973-M.jpg

Gap seal in place. Later did another pass with the proseal and fillers here to get the last openings sealed up.
IMG_4974-M.jpg

The few times I've encountered rain, it seems to keep it mostly out. The water can still migrate in down both sides. For overnights, I throw on the canopy cover and that helps.

Back