What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where can I park at Yucca Valley L22 or Twenty Nine Palms KTNP?

Hello, I am visiting Joshua Tree from Denver in early June and looking for a place to park my RV6 for about 5 nights. I was looking to land at Yucca Valley L22 or Twentynine Palms KTNP. Does anybody have any recommendations? I am concerned about leaving her tied down under the hot sun for multiple days. Thanks for any contacts or advice.

Thank you
Bryan

KTNP

The last time I flew to KTNP (Twentynine Palms) there are no hangars for transient parking. You'll be left with parking your plane in the desert sun.
I recommend you get a cover - i.e. Bruce's - to cover the plane.
I use the Bruce's cover for all my cross country travels. (RV-9A)

L22 is likely to have even less than KTNP as it is a smaller "private" airport.

@622BH, thanks for the reply. I do have a Bruce’s cover for my cockpit which I plan to use. I’m concerned whether that cover is sufficient to protect my electronics such as the GNS430, SL40 radio, GTX-335 ads-b transponder, and Grand Rapids EIS from the 95 degree heat. I like L22 due to its proximity to Joshua Tree and low key airfield feel.

What is your experience / opinion with parking your RV outdoors in this type of heat?

I can;t comment on the particular airports, but as much as I like my Bruce’s covers (I have them for all our planes), I don’t use them when tied down in the desert because if you have any sand/silt in the air (which you always will in the desert), and you have any wind (ditto - you always have wind....), you can scratch the heck out of your canopy if you put the cover on.

When we tie down in the desert, we generally just leave the canopy cracked to let the heat out, or we use a reflective blanket in the cockpit to try to reflect the radiant heat. I’m not sure it works, but it makes one feel better....

Paul

I left my plane at Yucca Valley airport for a week this spring. Tiedown is at the southwest end of the field. It was $5/day. Winds can be very strong, so make sure you are tied tight and your control surfaces won't flop around. I used my Bruces Cover too. There is no fuel on the field, so make sure you have reserves to get out.

David

Yucca and TNP

I have not landed at either but have stopped at both by car. TNP is relatively isolated. Yucca is a much more secure environment. I personally would not park the airplane and leave at TNP, even for a short time.

Was at L22 a couple months ago. Lots of loose rocks/gravel around parking area. Getting to transient requires a back taxi if you land to the east. Rental cars from Enterprise available. Uber/Lyft take forever since it’s not highly populated. Not the nicest airport, but did the job.

All valid replies

Everyone that has provided feedback have valid replies.
I spent 11 of my 20 years in the Marine Corps stationed at 29 Palms.
The winds and heat can be brutal for those that have not acclimatized.
KTNP is a bit out to the east, but not too far from the east entrance to the Park. L22 is in the middle, and Yucca Valley is to the west end.
It was late April the last time I was at KTNP, so heat wasn't a significant issue, and I had no problem covering the plane over night with the Bruce's cover.
So, with one night of parking at KTNP, there was no problem. As the heat goes up in this time of year, you'll experience thermals - thus wind - which as Paul says may cause a bit of sand blasting that you may not want to endure for the period you've specified. L22 would be my last choice due to the conditions it was in when I flew in/out of there many years ago. KTNP does have fuel and could be used as a fueling point if you chose Yucca or L22.
One option would be to land/park in the Palm Springs area and rent a car to gain entrance to the park. Possibly more security and fuel availability. However, heat and wind will still be a factor.

Truth is - if you’re going to rent a car and leave the plane for five nights, and you don’t like leaving it in the desert, you can always fly into Big Bear and drive down from there (check on rental car availability - sometimes, it goes away.....). You get to experience the pine forest mountains before heading to the desert! Fun drive as well.

Cooler, less wind, secure ramp, and the cheapest fuel in SOCAL (usually) - what’s not to like?

Have landed a few times at L22. Good people there and the RV hotel is there and stayed several times for the night enroute to Tucson from CYYJ.

Cooler, less wind, secure ramp, and the cheapest fuel in SOCAL (usually) - what’s not to like?

6750' elevation, 9000+ DA in the summer, surrounded by mountains....

It's an awesome little airpot, but make sure you can get back off the ground before you head that way. I don't think an RV would have many issues, just didn't want him to head that way unprepared.

Last edited:
Hey Bryan, Also, per posts 7, 8 &9, about renting a car---I'm seeing on the news (many times now) that renting a car is ridiculously expensive now, IF you can even get one. Reason---because of covid last summer, the rental car companies sold off a lot of their fleet, and haven't resupplied as they normally would. And now, as the country opens up, everyone wants to go somewhere, and wants a rental car. Call well in advance, they said, and make sure you call the actual rental car company itself. They said, if you just go thru a third party, when you actually get to where your car is "supposed" to be, it won't be there.

KPSP

You might also consider flying into Palm Springs and renting a car there. It's only an hour drive to the Park from there.

or we use a reflective blanket in the cockpit to try to reflect the radiant heat.

Years ago Gulfstream put out something in the Breakfast Minutes (Do they still publish those? Been years since I flew anything built in Savanah.) that essentially said please don’t put reflective screens up on the inside of the windows. It is possible for the screen to fold just wrong and concentrate a reflective hot spot that could compromise the inner plastic structural ply. Granted, we are talking about a window designed for a pressurized cabin but I imagine the theory could hold true for the average 1/4 or 3/8 thick RV canopy. There is already issues with folks leaving suction cups in the canopy in the heat.
Just something to think about.

Palm springs is prohibitively expensive to park. You have to pay at the FBO. 5 days would be a few hundred dollars.

Bermuda dunes is MUCH more friendly and has rentals cars at the airport.

Back