What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Horizon HX and GArmin SL-30

Steve A

Well Known Member
I am adding a Horizon HX to replace my Blue Mountain EFIS. I want to use the
HX as a CDI/glideslope and I was wondering if someone had a diagram for pin
placement. I look at the GRT Horizon HX diagram with inputs for CDI right/left, GSI up/down etc. Need a nice diagram to make sure I have it right.

Thanks.

S S Anderson
Lafayette, La.
RV-7A 255 hours

Serial in and Serial out

Kahuna,
I have the input and output from my SL-30 to my Blue Mountain that I am replacing. Since my BM never worked quit right and I did not have glide slope and CDI with that, I thought I could get that with the Horizon HX. The rear panel of the SL-30 has CDI R/L, GSI Up/Down, To FRom etc and the HOrizon had similar pin settings, I thought this is what I had to do to get a IFR VOR capacity. Thanks for the response.

S S Anderson

SL-30

Steve

This is how it is set up with my Skyview, should be the same if there is a serial port with the GRT HX
----------
Just connect the SL30 serial to one of the SV serial ports 1 to 4. You need to set up the SL30 in its menu too.

SL30 37 dsub connector -

1 = pwr
2 = ground

3 = serial ground
4 = RX from SV ie (SV TX )
5 = TX to SV ie (SV RX)

& don't forget the audio --
23 = audio out (HI)
20 = audio ground (LO)
------------------------------------
The SL-30 with the SV needs to be set to ''None', not resolver'' in the set up menu, I assume it must be the same with GRT..

This should take care of all the CDI/ GS set up..

Good Luck

Bruno

Bruno

Kahuna,
I have the input and output from my SL-30 to my Blue Mountain that I am replacing. Since my BM never worked quit right and I did not have glide slope and CDI with that, I thought I could get that with the Horizon HX. The rear panel of the SL-30 has CDI R/L, GSI Up/Down, To FRom etc and the HOrizon had similar pin settings, I thought this is what I had to do to get a IFR VOR capacity. Thanks for the response.

S S Anderson

You will only need the serial to interface the data you desire. The SL30 will feed the HX this through the serial data stream.

Bruno,Stein, Kahula,Thanks

As always I was making the problem too hard. The answer I was too dumb to
understand was the two wires carry all the info. I was trying to put ten wires
into my SL-30 behind the panel when the two wires already set up will suffice.

Thanks again all for helping out. This makes the set up much easier. I always look for the hard way to do it. At least I got online before tearing everything apart. Now hopefully I can be back in the air with the good weather.

S S Anderson

Back