What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Final question before ordering, and an introduction

Mevans

Hello to all, long time lurker here in Clearwater, Florida. Finally sent in my VAF dues. I am looking for workshop space and am on a few waiting lists. I am about 70 percent leaning toward a RV-8, on the "build what you want" theory. In second place is a RV-9 because it really fits my flying more, ie..500 miles or so XC, and local sightseeing, not really into acro. My main question is "Is there a significant difference in build time? Looking to build a basic VFR day light and simple bird. If no real difference, it will be an 8.

Just a bit about myself, tired of renting, previously built a Long EZ to the hanging engine stage. I built that in my garage and will not do that again. In an earlier life I was a aircraft metalsmith on UH-1N, AH-1T, and OV-10's in the USMC. I have not riveted in many years,but hope it will come back to me quickly. Looking forward to meeting up with some of the west coast Florida builders I see on here. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to VAF!

Hello to all, long time lurker here in Clearwater, Florida.

Matt,
welcome.gif
to the good ship VAF.

Good to have you aboard.

Welcome Mevans!

The build time between the -7, -8, & -9 are all about the same.

If you like the looks of the -8, build it and don't look back!

All three airplanes are great for local sightseeing. The cool factor of the -8 is a big plus, as long as you are not going to build an -8A.

The cost is also about the same for all three as the options make the most difference.

Good luck with your selection and build!

RV7a

+1
Welcome.
The only suggestion I would offer is to a least sit in the various models you like. A flight would really help. If you have a significant other include them in the sitting and flying. Having a supportive family makes a huge difference.
My wife sat in the 7 and 8, stepped down and said "7 and I want the wheel in the front with the sliding top". She's been behind the choice ever since and never questioned the cash flow. She also enjoys helping. Someday I hope she also loves flying.

If build time is a factor you might also look at the 14. Several features have been made more efficient to build. Could save some time and give a bigger space for you and the spouse to sit in.

Just start

You will be 100% with any rv. Pick what works for you and finish and fly the heck out of it.

Enjoy the build and enjoy the flying. Good luck.

It's a proven fact that the farther away you are from your project, the longer it will take to build. Therefore, you may want to consider building in your garage. At least there won't be as big a mess in there as there was with a fiberglass airplane. I agree with everybody's advice, but I will defend the -8A. It looks a lot better in person than it does in the photos, and there will never be a cease-fire in the war between nosedraggers and taildraggers. Build what you want. Getting your significant other onboard is a definite must. My wife was behind me all the way, she enjoys going for rides, and never whined about the expense.

Jim Bower
RV-6A N143DJ

All models at ZPH

Matt,

If you feel like a ride over to Zephyrhills, there are several 6's, a 4, an 8 and 4 9's hangered there.

I won't be around for the next several weekends but if you'd like to look at a few, there is usually a pretty good group there on Sundays.
Send me a PM if interested.

Thank you all, the wife is on board, part of being on onboard is there is not an airplane in the garage like last time. My long ez spent part of its life in the garage and part in a workshop. The workshop worked out well because there were fewer distractions. I have sat in a 4 and a 6, leaning toward tandem seating, still not sure where to put the training wheel, still have some time to decide.

Also, like the webmaster, my oldest daughter headed off to college two weeks ago, I think I could start building a space shuttle right now and the wife would not notice.

Last edited:
1. Identify your 'Mission Objectives'. Really... Sit down with a cup of coffee and your significant other and decide what you really want to do with it. It's simply a power tool... (i.e. X/C, acro, formation, go to lunch, camping, circle the planet, etc). No right or wrong answer here, just need to know what's important...

2. Sit in as many different models if possible and include your significant other in the process. Identify what you like and don't like.

3. Both of you get a demo ride/fly in the aircraft that most closely fits Items 1 and 2 above. Best done at the factory but that might not be possible. Finding competent pilots/aircraft locally is generally not a problem. Make sure YOU get to fly the aircraft a bit. That will tell you much more than 50 people trying to describe it.

4. Fine tune the decisions about Std Kit vs QB Kit, Slider vs Tip-Up, Tailwheel vs Nosewheel, Big engine vs Small engine, etc.

5. Don't be influenced into the wrong decision by others opinions. (Nosewheels are for sissies; No, you need the biggest engine...; You're an idiot for considering xyz...) After all, this is going to be YOUR airplane. Be realistic when inventorying your skillsets and it's relation to your choice in aircraft.

6. Building... With your mechanical experience you are ahead of the game compared to most. Probably the most difficult thing to do for most folks it to be strong in project planning skills. That can be a big influence on the pace and projected completion of the project. You will be juggling a lot of tasks/problems/purchases/issues.

7. Take short breaks away from the project as life will continue to 'happen'. This will help clear your mind of the tunnel vision.

8. Contact Van's if you have questions. We'd like to see you be successful too in this endevour too!

Just my $.02 :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I am located in Clearwater as well, and am building a 9A. Am working on finishing up the 2nd wing. I am working in my garage and you are more than welcome to come by any time. Especially if you'd like to rivet wing skins! Feel free to PM me.

Chris

It...Getting your significant other onboard is a definite must. My wife was behind me all the way, she enjoys going for rides, and never whined about the expense.

Jim Bower
RV-6A N143DJ

Actually your wife is beside you all the way in a 6A.:D

So true about gettng the wife onboard. Some will enjoy the extra room in the back of an 8 vs the side-by-sides; others will NOT enjoy having to look at the back of the pilot's head for the whole trip. (SBS vs tandem - another never-ending argument.;))

As previous Cozy builders, the RV is a very different experience for building. We like the side-by-side, we both fly and team fly, so for us the decision was easy. We are starting off here in the house. A little bit every day makes a big difference rather than a commute a little bit, a commute back.

The wife part of our team

Hi Matt,

I'm a new builder in Northeast Tampa. I'm building the RV14 and currently working on the wings. If you are ever in the area, drop me a line if you want to come have a look. I'm building in my garage and so far I'm not making much of a mess at all. I keep up with the shop vac, mostly just metal shavings which are easy to clean up. I do my priming outside. I have an air conditioner in the garage for these hot days but I'm looking forward to the cooler dryer days just around the corner so I can keep the garage door opened.

I agree with Jim, if you build it at home it will go faster. Sometimes I only have 15 minutes to spare, so I'll go in the garage and do something simple like pull out inventory for the next steps, or prime something, or shoot a few rivets.

Tom

Also, like the webmaster, my oldest daughter headed off to college two weeks ago, I think I could start building a space shuttle right now and the wife would not notice.

I got a good laugh out of this one.:D

Back