What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail strike damage to rudder when parked

GEGBS

I'm New Here
We recently suffered damage to the bottom of the rudder on our RV9A, when we forgot the golden rule and both stepped onto the aircraft at the same time.
We are now looking for ideas as to how to protect the rudder from this type of accidental damage in the future.
Has anyone designed a stop that can be fitted to the rear tie down bracket ?
Does anyone have any better ideas, apart from the don't climb on at the same time. Excuse was the average of the pilots was over 70 and we were in a hurry.

Thanks

David

Put a wheel in the back.

Seriously, On my 6A the tie down ring is the lowest point and will hit first. Per plans, it is attached to the aft bulkhead and will take quite a load. I have tested it once and hope that is the only test.

Here's a neat bumper I recently saw on a RV-9A. Piece of bent spring steel welded to the tail tie down ring.
Let me know if the image does not show up. It's my first try at posting a photo.

DSCF7255_zps4f658ac5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
There it is!

Last edited:
Ya David, I think we've all done that once. I wasn't expecting it at all when it happened and fortunately I stepped off before the rudder hit.

Now that I know, it hasn't happened again.

I wish I had one of those! During final assembly I got on the step with my helper partly in the baggage compartment. No fuel in the tanks, so it smacked down hard on the tail. Broke the fairing where the tail light/strobe was mounted. Fixed it, but what a pain! I've been very careful to keep only one person on the steps at a time.

Jim Bower
RV-6A - N143DJ

Here's a neat bumper I recently saw on a RV-9A. Piece of bent spring steel welded to the tail tie down ring.
Let me know if the image does not show up. It's my first try at posting a photo.

DSCF7255_zps4f658ac5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
There it is!

Picture worked, thank you.
Mine has hit the deck many times, so far the tie down ring has saved the day, i would not be so lucky without it being fitted. My personal rule, is only one person getting in/out at at time !

That bent spring steel welded or JB Weld to the tie down eyebolt is used often on the Cessna 172's flown by the Texas Wing Civil Air Patrol. They come in handy sometimes during a landing with a scanner in the rear seat. Keeps from scuffing the tail on the runway. Saves the eye hook also.
Pat Garboden
Katy, TX
RV9A N942PT

Tail Smack

I have found that with the Eye Bolt installed my rudder will not hit. After smashing mine on the ground once and repairing, I installed the eye bolt and it now is never taken out. Check it, you might not need to do any mods to protect your tail.:D

Back