What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can you feel my pain?

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
Old guys should have a trained monkey or grandkid to do this. Oh how it hurts to get back in there! (Just getting there and back out again is pure misery)
30b2ywx.jpg
[/IMG]
ev3ntt.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Don - that's what girlfriends are for. You need a young, skinny, athletic one to do the tailcone and under panel work as well as other things that need taken care of. Ted

I've been there recently lots of room like space shuttle. They sent you smaller kit :D

I first bolted the brackets to the adhrs unit. Installed it thereafter. I was standing beside the aircraft and could just reach it.

I had intended to mount it last week, just BEFORE attaching the tailcone. Forgot. Would still have to get back there to hook up the wires and secure them.
I first bolted the brackets to the adhrs unit. Installed it thereafter. I was standing beside the aircraft and could just reach it.

Yeah...been there, done that. I agree that all old guys should have some skinny kid to do stuff inside of a cramped area, but you have to train and feed them.

Jim Bower
RV-6A N143DJ...trying to keep its feet dry in the SECOND flood of 2013

Don, take a cell phone when back in there, you can always call for help if you get stuck.
I've been back in there in the 8 and its like caving, Louise Hose would be good at it. :)

I always have my cell phone handy, and absolutely will NOT get back there unless the wife is in the house and aware of my possible entrapment. I got trapped upside down under the panel in my Ercoupe once at the hangar, and had to have help to get me back out. Since that episode, I demand there be help close by. Kinda feels like a turtle on its back.

I'll be feeling it again, soon.

I need to crawl back and install the ADS-B antenna tomorrow, so I, too, will be feeling the pain. I try to relegate these tasks to my under-tall (and considerably smaller caliber) wife, but she's out of town, so I better keep my cell phone handy to call the rescue truck if I get totally stuck.

Fear not, Don...Old Age and Treachery will triumph over Youth and Skill...

I prefer the Fosbury Flop method...

... much more comfortable with the feet elevated. A helper is a necessity however because you only want to go in and out once!

Inside my RV3 drilling holes for rivets to hold the skin on

Your picture looks familiar...
dy2fbm.jpg

Last edited:
I installed the ADSB antenna from underneath, reached up thru one of the holes from the bottom. Anything to avoid crawling in that dreaded tailcone!

I need to crawl back and install the ADS-B antenna tomorrow, so I, too, will be feeling the pain. I try to relegate these tasks to my under-tall (and considerably smaller caliber) wife, but she's out of town, so I better keep my cell phone handy to call the rescue truck if I get totally stuck.

Fear not, Don...Old Age and Treachery will triumph over Youth and Skill...

Last edited:
My buddy offered to crawl into the tail cone one day to save me from further aggravating the already aggravated torn rotator cuff in my shoulder.
He got himself just nicely jammed into the tail cone when he was overcome with an attack of claustrophobia. The tail of the airplane started to sound like the bass drum at an AC-DC concert until he was safely extricated from the space. After calming down a bit he offered that it takes a special breed of person to go in there and function effectively.

That is just an illusion. I need to have mine done as well. I had one patched up 20 years ago, but it has failed again. Rapidly becoming a major issue.

My buddy offered to crawl into the tail cone one day to save me from further aggravating the already aggravated torn rotator cuff in my shoulder.
He got himself just nicely jammed into the tail cone when he was overcome with an attack of claustrophobia. The tail of the airplane started to sound like the bass drum at an AC-DC concert until he was safely extricated from the space. After calming down a bit he offered that it takes a special breed of person to go in there and function effectively.

Paul,

One of the funniest posts lately.

Thanks for giving me a really good . . . outloud laugh. :)

Drifty

Never mind your buddy. Was the plane was OK? :D

Back