What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Never too cold to build!

Lemmingman

Well Known Member
I am sure a lot of your are experiencing the coldest weather of the winter. I know I sure am. It was -8 (-22C) this morning when I woke up and let the dog out for her morning run. It was a quick run. By afternoon I think it hit the forecast high of 8F. After work it was time to hit the garage for some quality time with the RV. I am working on the flap control bar and associated mechanics. In the garage I just left the space heater off...it had no effect other than burning money. This was the coldest work session in my build. While fabricating some bits I noticed my air tools were noticeably slower, laboring through the cold. For my comfort, layering is the key to a happy work session in the shop. I mind the cold much less than I mind the heat. The sweltering heat that I get in the summer is hard to work in. How about you? Were you building in the cold?

2014-01-06%25252019.17.30.jpg

Sorry for the fuzzy picture. My 12-year old photographer was shivering.

Not near as cold as you seem to be, Gil. The photo below was taken a year ago Saturday, temps in the 30's. The lighting in my garage sucks, so I prefer work with the door open.

This year so far, we've had high's in the 60's... sorry!

FP19012013A0002L.jpg

Inspection, final assembly and first flight were all 14-22 degrees. I did stay on the ground today, waiting for some upper 20's and 30's later this week!

It wasn't that bad in NJ. I came to the shop, read some plans, rearranged tools, had a warm beer and left. The day wasn't waisted. :)

So far this winter it has been 0 to 20 F in the mornings. -22 at work. The best investment was to buy insulated garage doors, and install insulation in the garage roof and dry wall. One small 1500 watt heater keeps it in the 60s

Remember the old days when builders heated skins when riveting them to reduce oil-canning and ripples? All these planes are going to look like Shar pei's when it gets warm!:D
Funny+Shar+Pei+Dog_2.jpg

Being the wimp that I am, I conducted my build in a well-insulated garage that I heated fairly well in the winter and air conditioned in the summer. I live in St. Louis where we get nasty heat and humidity in the summer, and (sometimes) bitter cold in the winter. I used one of those small "jet engine" heaters to take the chill off, and then the oil-filled electric radiators kept it livable all day long. The only downside is that I had few short building sessions when the weather was extreme, due to the hassle and expense of climatizing the garage space. Keep at it...you will be flying some day. I just wish I had a heated space to work on it now! Even though it's flying, the building is never really done.

Jim Bower
RV-6A N143DJ

Back