What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

where to buy 3" air valve for scat tubing.

ron sterba

Well Known Member
Want to put a 3" butterfly valve for the rear of my baffle (9A). It will duct air to my firewall mounted oil cooler. Tried calling Eric at Nonstopaviation.com but the feller won't return calls or emails. Not sure hes doing business but his website took my cash from my credit card. So im looking for another supplier. Anybody know of one?
Ron in Oregon RV9A

Last edited:
Ron,
I bought from NonStop and recieved mine in a week.
I have seen others out there I just don't remember where I saw them.

. . . but his website took my cash from my credit card. So im looking for another supplier. . . .
Ron in Oregon RV9A

I ended up with duplicate stuff when acting too fast. Have you cancelled the payment?

BTW - I got a 4" from Avery. That diameter matches the flow area of my IO-360 (Vans) cooler.

I was thinking about firewall mount, but have not seen any actual speed advantages posted, so it will go on the baffle with a formed glass collector on the back, a valve, and pipe directed down to the exit. Vans remote kit has poor aerodynamics when analyzed visually.

Thanks Ralph I'll give Avery a call. Still no call from Nonstop . Been 8 days with no response email or phone.

I ended up with duplicate stuff when acting too fast. Have you cancelled the payment?

BTW - I got a 4" from Avery. That diameter matches the flow area of my IO-360 (Vans) cooler.

I was thinking about firewall mount, but have not seen any actual speed advantages posted, so it will go on the baffle with a formed glass collector on the back, a valve, and pipe directed down to the exit. Vans remote kit has poor aerodynamics when analyzed visually.

I don't think anyone does it for speed, I did it because so many have issues with baffles cracking over time and I wanted a big oil cooler.

Hey Bill, I understand being in business needs a little thoughtfulness at least to VAF folks. i haven't canceled yet but I'll give him the weekend then I'll order from Avery, looks like the same product. As far as cooling goes us folks up in the northwest really don't have the cooling problems of the folks down south. So I can understand getting all the cooling opportunities installed as possible. As I been told run the 3" scat tubing direct from baffle to oil cooler and when fall and winter comes place some duct tape on the cooler to restrict air and remove it next spring. The experimental market is starting to over take certified planes and our RV market will be strong. So to compete when selling the machine YOU GOT TO BE ONE STEP BETTER. Thats my opinion. Mark thanks for the heads up. How do you like your 3" colling with that valve?

Ron in Oregon

Ron,
I couldn't agree more with respect to people being attentive to us, at least to the point of returning e-mails and phone calls. I, too, ordered a 3" oil cooler valve from Nonstop, and so far just got acknowledgement of my order, which I placed 2 weeks ago. So far he hasn't responded to my e-mail and I just left him a phone message. I was very excited to find this product, but I wish I had known Avery sold the same thing. Bob has a proven track record.

Jim Bower
RV-6A N143DJ - flying

Sorry to say goodbye to the guy at Nonstopavaiation. Tried but it should be noted about him. I called Avery on monday and had the valve in my hands on thurs deliveried by USPS for $6 bucks. (yesterday) Called my credit card company to cancel the sale too!
Bob always comes thru!
Take care Jim, thanks for the response on your experience!
Ron in Oregon

Update: I got in touch with Bob Avery today (9/3) and ordered the 3" air controller. As luck would have it, he just got several of them in from Eric at Nonstop. I cancelled the order with Eric and asked my credit card company to credit my account. All should be well. The main thing is I will have that controller installed before the cold weather sets in.

Jim Bower
RV-6A N143DJ

Update to my update (for those who are interested). I got my 3" air controller a few days ago and installed it yesterday. It's a beautiful piece of hardware and exactly what I needed. I originally had Van's shutter system, but even wide open, the structure blocks a good portion of the cooler.

I ended up attaching it to the plenum on top of the oil cooler because the engine mount interfered with the baffle location. It was an easy install; the hardest part was making a bracket for the control cable. I can't wait to try it.

Jim Bower
RV-6A N143DJ

Back